Chapter 98

With my blood pumping this way my insides felt like they were trembling, but I sat still as a statue while I listened to every word Renzo had to say. This conversation is so long overdue. 

"I'm not going to get into all the details of my business, but I will tell you that while handling the Van Dijk's that cousin of theirs got killed. And that note you saw...it's the brother of that guy. Like I told you, those are some fresh young guys from overseas looking to make a claim on some operations in America. In this business, everything is done by force and making a show of who's at the top or else you'll never make it in this industry. They had and still have something to prove, so they've made some brazen and very very stupid moves."

"What else have you lied about?" I was curious if anything else during that time period was a lie. By Renzo's expression of frustration I think there might be. 

        "I lied about Fuoco Lento's car service so you had a safe way to and from work. I lied about the man who came into your office with a gunshot wound. Insurance wasn't the issue. He couldn't go to the hospital because gunshot wounds are flagged and police are notified. He was one of my lower tier guys, and it was a silly altercation between two low grade rivals with a grudge against each other. It wasn't even an aim to kill. It was purposely just a flesh wound."

I remember Renzo shuffling me out of the office so quickly, and how Dante took me to the bar and told me everything was fine. He asked me to trust him that day and I did. My mistake.

 "Anything else" I looked deep into his eyes to know if he was lying. Or at least try to know. I've failed to notice thus far, but I'm learning. 

        Renzo stood from the mattress and walked around the bed so he was standing in front of me. He stuffed his hands into his pockets and looked down at me who was still seated at the mattress's edge. He seemed to be contemplating something. Some internal struggle on whether he should or should not say something. 

"I want to know everything, Renzo. I'm serious" I warned him. He remained in his confident wide stance, but looked away from me when he admitted, "I don't have a family friend who is renting you out the apartment. I pay for it myself."

        The day Gabriele had texted me, and Renzo was belligerent and tried to bust out of my apartment, I remember him saying something along the lines of 'I pay for it so I can do what I want.' And I had caught on to that and asked what he meant. When he didn't react to it I thought maybe I misunderstood and what he meant is that he always pays for the damage he causes.

Now I know the truth. That's not my apartment. I've been living in Renzo's apartment for months. "What?!" I blurted out in my surprise. Renzo removed his hands from his pockets and crossed his arms over his chest, which made everything bulge and flex. 

He's in a white button down today and it only shows the definition of his body even more. His scent, that smoky delicious scent was lingering between us, and I hated that I loved the scent still. Renzo had crossed his arms and with his usual blank expression he shrugged and said, "I didn't like where you were living. I rectified the situation." This man is maddening. 

        "I wasn't even single at that time. I was still with Val when you offered me that apartment. Why would you rent an apartment for a girl who was nobody to you?" I couldn't understand it. I know money comes easily to him, but why waste the effort on searching for an apartment that suited my needs? 

That book nook that I found so perfect to my taste. He orchestrated all of it. 

"Because I wasn't looking for anything in return. Single or not, I wanted to take care of you, and I did so without throwing it in your face" he was so sure of himself and unabashed. Renzo may be many things, but I can never take away the fact that Renzo Revello has been taking care of me since the day he met me.