Chapter 73 (Renzo's POV)

I had had a long fucking night, so I went straight home after it was identified that the youngin's who shot me were none other than the Van Dijk fucking family. They've been nothing but problems for me. Old Van Dijk wasn't bad to work with, but now all his young sons and nephews are living in the United States, and seem to be trying to prove themselves as big tough guys, pulling some risky fucking moves like shooting Boston's Italian mob boss at a fucking gas station. 

We have our eyes and ears on the streets looking for them and for now I just need shut eye. I crawled into bed around 2:15am, and by the time my phone started ringing it felt like I only got a few minutes of sleep. 

I cringed at the sound of it ringing, but rolled over and grabbed my phone. My goddamn arm is hurting and I am in a foul mood. I blinked at the clock and saw it was just after 3am. Fucking hell I got one hour of sleep. 

        I saw it was Dante though, which is what made me answer. "What? You found him?" I asked in a half sleep. "Yeah, sorta" he said, which made no sense. "Renzo, listen, I don't want you freaking out, but I gotta tell you something" he told me. I sat right up in bed knowing this was about to be some bullshit.

"What?" I already sounded clipped. "I was in Cambridge at Insomnia cookie and the car ran up on me" he told me. "Fuck, did they get you?" I wasn't sure if that's where this was headed. "Dinged the whole side of my car, but nah they're a sucky shot. But listen..." he was dragging it out. I was about to snap at him to hurry up when his next sentence came out. 

"Kat was with me" his words came out, but I needed to register them again. 

        "Is she alright?" Was the first thing I asked, but my body had me standing already. I don't know where I'm going, but I was already moving. My heart was beating fast and he hadn't even answered the question yet. "I don't know... I don't know where she is" he said in a voice that told me he fucked up. 

"WHAT?! WHERE THE FUCK IS SHE?" I bellowed out I was already sliding on pants and flinching as I tried sliding a shirt on over my bandaged arm. 

"Listen to me, don't start flipping out. I took her to get cookies because she was all fucking worried about you and couldn't sleep. She ran back inside for napkins, and she was crossing the street when the car came revving down the street gunning for us. I told her to run, but it's not like I could keep track of her when three fucking guys were tryna hang out the car. I know for a fact the two facing me were a sucky shot and didn't hit me. I don't know if the third gunman shot from the other side of the car...the side of the street Kat was on" and his words had the fucking floor coming out from underneath me. 

Is Kat laying in the fucking street dead right now? Did she get shot? Did they take her? 

        "I WANT EVERY FUCKING GUY ON THE STREET LOOKING FOR THOSE PRICKS! AND I WANT EVERYONE ELSE LOOKING FOR KAT. NOW" I was screaming and running to my car at the same time. My heart has never beat this fast in my life. I don't panic, so this daze I was in I can only blame on maybe lack of sleep or lack of blood.

I went running across the lobby of my building, and when I exited I was already almost colliding with someone. My brother. "What the fuck are you doing here? I have to go" I tried shoving past him. "Dante called me. We knew you'd flip out. I'm driving. You can't drive like this," he forced my hand. I didn't have time to argue with him. 

"Drive to Insomnia Cookie" I ordered. I pulled my phone out and started texting and calling everybody. 

        "I'm going to fucking kill him. Dante shouldn't have had her out tonight. If Kat's..." I couldn't even say the words. I felt fucking sick. My adrenaline was so high strung I felt physically nauseous. "Pull over" I shoved my brother. When he pulled to the curb I leaned out of the car and vomited.