Chapter 46

"I've been alright to you so far, haven't I?" Renzo didn't directly answer the question if I could trust him. "It's a yes or no answer" my tone was straining slightly. Nerves, stress, confusion. "Trust that I know what's best for you" he placed his hand on my thigh as he continued to drive. 

My heart beat against my chest. His thumb caressed my bare flesh, but I stopped his hand with mine. "Did you have Val beat up? Yes or no" I asked him, and since we came to another stop I could make him face me as he answered. He glanced down at my hand over his then back at me.

        "I don't know what you're talking about, Kat" he said it with a straight face, and yet I felt it was a lie. Maybe it's because Alexa had told me he wasn't even robbed from the money he did have in his wallet, or maybe it's just my feminine intuition, but I sat straighter in the seat and removed his hand. His brows furrowed and he looked at me. 

"Kat" he huffed, shaking his head. "You did it," I whispered. His eyes lingered on mine for too long, like he was reading me, and I just couldn't take it. I quickly undid my seat buckle and opened the car door. 

"KAT, WHAT THE FUCK" I heard Renzo shout from inside the car.

        "Get in here" He lowered the window and shouted. "I'm just gonna walk" I told him, and started for my apartment. I don't know why I feel this way, but I have such a strong inkling that he is somehow involved. 

He was stuck between cars, so he couldn't follow me just yet, which is why I wanted to hurry up and get out of there. If I turn down this, 'do not enter' one way street then I will lose him. As soon as I turned the corner I felt relief, then I heard the roaring of an angry engine. 

My eyes bulged out of my head when I realized he just zoomed down a one way street from the wrong side and screeched onto the sidewalk in front of me to stop me in my tracks. He hopped out of the car and my pulse skyrocketed.

        Bounding down the street was a 6 foot 3 man with a scowl and a stride of purpose. I almost ran away, but that would be childish. "What the hell is wrong with you?! Jumping out of people's cars at the stop lights, don't be fucking ridiculous" he snapped at me. I flinched back. 

When he towers over me like this all I can do is flinch back because if I step back he'll follow me. He'll follow me until he's able to cage me against something. 

"You have something to do with this thing with Val! I know you do, and you are lying to me!" I shouted the only way Kat knows how to shout. It's a slightly raised voice from my usual soft tone, and I've been laughed at before by it, but to my insides I felt like I was yelling this to everyone on this block. 

My voice doesn't carry like his though. His voice carries a force with it. 

"You are making shit up in your head and upsetting yourself. I said I didn't touch the kid" he snapped. "But you asked someone else to" I caught his very precise word choice. He paused. "You did! I knew it! Oh my gosh, you broke his leg! Why would you do that!?" I was dumbfounded.

        "Kat, get back in the car" he pinched the bridge of his nose and released an aggravated breath. "No, not until you admit it" I crossed my arms to show my defiance. His eyes flared with a different kind of fire. Anger directed solely at me. 

"FINE, you wanna know everything?! I told my guys to rough up that asshole, yes, I did that. Fuck." He spat out and fisted his hair in aggravation. "Why?" I asked quietly. I was shocked. He had been looking in a diagonal direction, but he whirled around, which made me straighten my spine. He grabbed me lightly by the throat and pulled my face up to his dipped one.