Chapter 13

I spent half the night holding my breath and walking across the floor to deliver drinks during a table's bottle service. I saw another girl doing it with me, but she would make a show of it and she'd go to that private champagne room with bottles holding sparklers and other things. I'm glad I don't have to be that perky. 

I used my shy play to keep from having to talk to the men I was serving. Some tipped better than others, but some barely even thought to leave a tip. They were always the slimiest looking ones too. Greased back hair and musky cologne. 

I was counting down the hours for this to be over. In between the times that I wasn't serving, I was hiding behind the bar with Carmine without getting in their way of making drinks for the patrons in the white section who didn't use full bottle service. 

        All night this one gentleman, I don't know why I even called them 'gentlemen' because they aren't...There was a guy who had his eye on me all night long. I kept feeling his piercing gaze when I would walk my tray over to the black tables and make a minimal amount of conversation before running off. 

Men took my nervous disposition as a challenge, and they'd try to touch me in any way that they can. A hand rested on my shoulder, arm, hand, or hip. A brushing of my thigh. It's always something and it makes my skin crawl.

This guy I kept feeling staring at me hadn't been one who approached me or tried touching me he was just watching. He was seated so I couldn't see how tall he was, but I did take in his features slowly over time as I glanced his way to understand what he wanted from me. 

I was too nervous to look at him dead on and give him the wrong idea. He had his hair combed back into the perfect wave of blonde hair and he looked younger than the people he was seated with. I didn't find him to be handsome, but I could see he wasn't as old or ugly as most of these guys were. He wore a navy suit and his expression was unreadable, which kept me on edge. 

        "Oh look, your boyfriend is finally coming over" Carmine leaned over the bar and whispered to me just as I approached him again to bring back the empty tray. My eyes went wide and I glanced over my shoulder to see the navy suited man walking over. I wanted to rush around the bar to Carmine's side, but it was too late and I felt the man walk up beside me. I didn't look up at him. I couldn't.

"Can I buy you a drink?" The man's voice wasn't overly deep and held some accent I was unfamiliar with. I glanced up because I had no choice. "No thank you, I'm working" I squeaked out. 

"I know sweetheart. I've been watching you. Is it your first day? You seem nervous?" He asked me, using the back of two fingers to brush down my bare arm. My gut clenched in a bad way. Why do they always feel entitled to touching me? It's very irksome. 

        "My first and last day, yes. I'm covering for a friend" I told him, trying to move ever so slightly so his fingers would drop away. He was standing to the right of me, so when he leaned his left arm on the bar top it brushed closely to mine, but he was technically facing the shelf of liquor. I assumed he was looking for something to drink.

 "They let you girls drink on the job. Just so you know" he informed me. I couldn't place the accent. He was very fair skinned. "I don't drink, thank you" I lied. 

"Mmm, you're such a sweetheart. I love your dress. I've wanted a peak underneath it all night. You're very good at not bending over too much" he was still leaning on the bar, but his head was turned my way looking down at me.

        I looked at Carmine hoping he'd help me. He did not. 

        "Come on, tell me what color your panties are," Navy suit guy pressed me. I know they do this to the other girls, but they're used to it. I am not at all and I was suddenly feeling so nervous and overwhelmed. I know I was blushing red, but I was just standing side by side with the man because my mind shut down and I wasn't sure what to say or do.