Chapter 19

I was face planted down under a heap of pillows when I heard Alexa knocking on my bedroom door. I groaned. I was feeling so exhausted. "Kat, sorry to wake you but your boss is at the front door" I heard her voice from the other side of my shut bedroom door. I shot up with this news. "My boss?!" 

I glanced at the time and it was only 9am. We left the club at almost 3 in the morning. How the hell is he already awake when he probably went home even later than that from the police station. I quickly wiped at my mouth and eyes and I tried matting down my hair. There was no way around it. Renzo was about to see me in my morning form. 

I cringed at the thought of what I look like right now. Plus I am in a large tee and some sleep shorts. I sighed but walked to the front door where my breath hitched at the sight of him. 

        It was the first time I saw him outside of a suit. He wore jeans and a crisp white tee beneath a leather jacket he looked too damn cool in. His hair was soft over his forehead. Wow. He literally makes anything look stunning. "Renzo?"

When he heard my voice his head lifted and he watched me walk across the apartment to get to the door. "May we speak in private?" He asked me, looking uncomfortable with Alexa sitting in the kitchen staring at him. 

"Uh, I'm not dressed to step out. Just...come with me" I decided to bring him into my room. I shouldn't have because his presence in this confined space was making it hard to breathe again. When I shut the door behind us I stayed leaning up against it.

         "It's 9am...did you sleep at all?" I furrowed my brows at him. His face looked flawless. You'd never know his place of business got robbed last night, and he was brave enough to steal one of the guns to hold the man captive until those robbers pulled their weapons away from all the girls. He was braver than all of us because I couldn't have done that. 

"I'm aware, but I couldn't sleep well. Too much on my mind. I came to check on you" he told me, looking around my room with a displeased expression. I suddenly blushed at the realization that Renzo was actually in my apartment, in my room witnessing the pathetic bedroom I live in.

He's rich. He must be looking down on me as inferior. I'm embarrassed. 

        "Check on me? Don't you have better things to worry about?" I was confused as to why he'd come here. Defensive maybe too, because I didn't like his disgusted expression looking down at my camo sheets and twin sized mattress. 

"You said you live here with three others?" He asked me. "Yes, but answer the question" I brought him back around. He sighed and shoved his hands into his pockets, moving the leather jacket enough for me to see the soft white fabric of his fitted white shirt. 

He's cut beneath all that. I can tell even more from this shirt than any of his other suits. Wow. 

"The women that work for me have worked in worse places. They may have been shaken last night, but they'll be fully recovered by today. You are not used to these types of scenarios and I knew you'd be upset. So yes, I came to check on you" he was the one getting defensive now. 

"I'm freaked out...do you blame me?" I looked up at him from beneath my long lashes. My voice was soft. He sighed again.

        "Am I a bad luck charm to your business or something? You said nothing ever happens at your club, but two incidents have occurred within my second week of working there. Is it me?" I frowned. His expression was unreadable as always, but he took a step towards me, and because I'd been leaning against the door while he stood in the middle of my room I had nowhere to escape.