Chapter 39

I was glad it was Monday and had the next two days off. I needed space after my brave speech last night. I didn't like feeling used the way I did on the fourth of July, and I didn't want to make that mistake again because of my attraction to him. It would feel good in the moment, but feel really bad afterward, and I don't want that. 

I'm still getting over a failed relationship. I don't need another man screwing other women while also pursuing me. I already know how that feels and it feels sucky. I just wanna remain professional because I'd really like to keep my job and make the money I'm making while saving up and everything. 

I'm glad he agreed to it. He has tons of girls after him. I know he doesn't give a shit that I ended this before it started. I'm not the sexy exotic dancer who lets him screw me and walk out the door before I'm even standing up. If Rebel likes that stuff then more power to her. It's just not me. 

        I needed a friend today, and I found myself calling my old roommate Alexa to see if she was up for meeting me for coffee or something. She easily agreed which felt nice. We agreed to meet somewhere in the middle of where we both live, which put us at this hipster place that Alexa cringed at upon entering. It gave me a good laugh, which I needed.

It was the kind of coffee place with long fancy drinks that are overpriced, and had baristas with handlebar mustaches. There was low folk music playing over the speakers, and everyone was on laptops or reading contemporary poetry or something. 

The tables were round and the sets were mismatched, which was meant to bring a relaxed vibe to the place. Alexa and I sat in the very corner, so she could 'people-watch' and make commentary to keep me laughing. 

        After the lightheartedness of all that I asked if I could vent to her. She said yes. It was like her permission opened the floodgates. I started telling Alexa everything that's been going on. She had met Renzo when he showed up to the house that one time, and I had vented to her back then, but there was so much more now. 

I even told her we hooked up, even though I blushed crimson the whole time. But it wasn't just about my confusion and attraction to Renzo. The real thing I vented about were the strange occurrences that have been piling up.

        When you list it off it goes like this. Renzo is a 27 year old business owner with enough money to hand me hundreds without blinking, and afford yachts with his family. He owns a gentlemen's club. He brutally beat a man who did obscene things beside me, which is fair, but then we have the aftermath of his family coming to rob Renzo, and being real enough crooks that they had guns and enough guts. 

Renzo had a gun and a man pressed against it, which ultimately ended the madness, but we were taken out of the establishment while everything was handled, and I didn't technically see or hear any police or sirens. 

Renzo beat the heck out of Val too which again, messed with his business and made him upset, but still. If you are a man in a three piece expensive suit would you be the kind of man who gets blood on his shirt and bruises on his knuckles? 

Then we have last night's incident with the gunshot victim. Alexa gaped at me on that one. "What do you think? Am I crazy or does it seem like I am missing something here" I fidgeted with my empty coffee cup the way I had been the whole time I was confessing to her.

        Alexa is grunge to the core, so she was in oversized frayed clothes and the 'messy' look looked really good on her. Her nails were painted black and mostly chipped off. She has the IDGAF attitude. She was leaning forward on her elbows the whole time though. I had captivated her and she was invested.