Chapter 32

I had been avoiding Renzo ever since he mentioned me walking in on...that. I needed to get my mind in order and he is one person who gets my mind hazy and confused. I'm dealing with the falling out of a relationship, questioning if that was even love I felt or just didn't know better. I can't say he loved me or else he wouldn't cheat on me, so was it one sided or was it not love? I was confused. 

I was still sad and heartbroken, but really confused. 

I haven't been able to look Rebel in the eye either, so I wouldn't say I am only avoiding Renzo, but still. It's been a quiet week for me, which is exactly what I needed after the chaos of the past few weeks.

I sleep in my comfy bed until afternoon, I get up and listen to music while I cook, and afterward when I am cleaning up. I sit at the bay window, or on the sofa, or in the armchair of the reading nook I adore. On my days off I could spend a whole day inside there with a good book. 

On days I have work I end up making myself a good meal, I eat, shower, and get ready. I work late hours, and I repeat it all again. 

        The weather is getting much warmer, which I am excited about. I like hot weather and I want to get a tan. Living in Nola I have had plenty of sun and my skin has been a nice color, but it can easily fade and I feel like it has a little bit. I want sun kissed cheeks again.

Tonight for work I dressed in this funky one piece I have that's stylish and comfortable actually. I put my sandals on because heels felt like too much and then I went to Elijah, who of course has my new address. He parks right out front instead of a few houses down like he used to have to do. 

"Good evening, Miss Kat" he clutched the back of the passenger seat and turned around to grin at me. "Good evening, sir" I teased him. "Where to?" He asked and I laughed. He started heading towards the club and he started talking about his weekend plans. 

I realized Saturday is the fourth of July. I know the club is open, it's a huge business day I guess, so I will just be working. Some of the girls don't wanna come in and they don't have to, but I heard this is a huge day for big time tips, so I know plenty of the girls volunteered already. Raquel had been telling me about it this week as she reviewed the 'special' receipts.

        I already have a pretty set routine at work. I do my work quickly and efficiently, so the other day I got curious about the kitchen they have here and ordered a meal. They told me it was free of charge, which surprised me and the food was delicious. I won't make a habit of taking free food from the club, but once in a while I would like to indulge because it's delicious and I was sure to let the chef know. 

I think my only 'friend' at work would be Teagan. She makes the effort to say hello and we will chat a little bit if we both have the time. I should be brave and ask if she wanted to hang out sometime outside of work. I need friends here. I have none. 

And when I say 'here' I mean in Boston, not just at work.

        Since there was a lull for me tonight between what I had to do and what I'm waiting to finish doing around closing, I decided to visit the chef to see what was cooking. There was a large party in the black section tonight and they'd gotten all the works. Appetizers, top shelf bottles, and private dances. The girls were buzzing around talking about it and I peek out sometimes from where I can't be seen just because the gossip gets me curious. 

The chef has taken a liking to me, so he handed me a bowl full of what looked like meatball sized mozzarella sticks, but he told me they were stuffed with 'good' stuff. Whatever that means. He's heavily Italian and barely speaks a lick of English.