Chpt 1: Delilah And Harriet

I never really thought about my future. I knew that i wanted to stay and support my sisters, stay and take care of the farm and maybe even get a dog. But other than that, i never had anything planned. I don't like to think about the future because i know how quickly it can all change.

I also don't like to think of the future because i am quite content with my life as it is now in this moment. I live with my two sisters Emma and Beth. My mother and father thought it amusing to name us after their characters from their favourite plays or novels.

And amusing they were. They named me after Juliet from "Romeo and Juliet", my older sister is named after the book "Emma" by Jane Austen and my little sister is named after "Macbeth" another play by Shakespeare.

My father had passed away when i was nine from an unknown illness. I don't remember much about him, apart from his love of the farm and his family. He'd greet us every morning with a kiss on the cheek and a song when he worked.

My mother she isn't quite dead, but i wouldn't say she is alive either. She was never the same after Papa died. I know i should not blame her for it, i couldn't imagine loosing the love of my life. But i can't help but feel resentment.

My older sister, Emma, has always wanted to become a writer and get married but because Mama is unwell, she had to get a job as a maid. She has worked as a maid since she was fifteen. I stay home and take care of Beth and Mama.

Beth is quite easy to care for, more independent than most. She spends her days reading or speaking to the sheep. Emma works at the Danbury household for a woman called Lady Agatha Danbury.

She is a kind woman from what i remember. She treats Emma with respect which is more than what most have to live with. She even let Emma bring Beth and i to her household in our youth. Her house was always covered in fresh flowers and smelled of lavender.

One day, Lady Danbury found me trying to pick her fresh flowers. She could have yelled, she could have thrown me out, but instead she gifted me my first paints and easel to keep me occupied. And for that i am forever grateful.

She also had her godson live with her for some time who is now known as the Duke of Hasting but i know him as Simon. Simon and i used to be quite close when i would visit. He taught me how to fence, at least he tried. He also taught me not to go near the fresh flowers in the summer because i could get stung by a bee. But most importantly, he taught me to read.

He introduced me to the finest writers of our time. As a child he had trouble finding the words to speak, i believe reading was his solace.

I couldn't teach him much but i like to think i taught him kindness. Lady Danbury warned him not to treat me any less than his betters, and he followed her order. I once believed i would marry the boy. A fantasy as some would call it. But i would never admit that to him now, his ego is large enough.

I must confess, i haven't seen Lady Danbury or Simon in quite some time but due to my family's status. They are generous people but even then, my family are known as the lowest in their society. They have money and a name for themselves whilst we have our farm.

"Juliet!" Emma belted which woke me out of my slumber. She has been much of an irritant of late.
Of course i love her, i have to. We are the only family we have left. But sometimes i wish she would open her eyes and realise she is not my mother. She is my sister

I made my way down the stairs, plaiting my hair as i walked. "I am making breakfast before i leave. Could you please go fetch some eggs and be useful" Emma muttered. I wanted to rebel against her, but my most favourite part of my mornings was visiting the chickens.

I walked outside into the brisk summer air, inhaling deeply. I quite enjoyed how our farm looked just as the sun rose. I then let the chickens out and grabbed what eggs they had laid. When i journeyed back inside, Beth was already sitting at the table with a book in hand.

Beth and i were much closer due to us spending everyday together. We also rarely bickered. She saw me as a sister unlike Emma. I taught Beth how to read just as Simon taught me. I tried to teach her to paint but she lost interest before i even laid the brush to the canvas.

She taught herself archery with our fathers old bow and may i say, she is quite the talent. I kissed Beth on the cheek and handed Emma the basket of eggs. "You only grabbed four eggs?" Emma questioned. "Well they only laid four. I can't force Delilah and Harriet to lay more" i snapped back. "Delilah and Harriet?" Beth asked in confusion. "You named the chickens?"

"Of course i named them. They give us food to eat, they at least deserve names" i jester. Emma just rolled her eyes and continued making her work in the kitchen. "So... The social season is starting soon..." Emma said.

"Is it now?" i replied in confusion. "I still don't get why there is a social season. Why do women feel the need to parade around in feathers and sparkles in order to catch a mans attention? They should be showing of their talents. I believe i would do great if they allowed us to do archery or pall mall!" Beth chimed in.

"I taught you well" i said nudging her.
"They prance around in feathers so they can get a safe and secured future Beth, that's why" Emma said with hostility. Beth and i grew quiet. Emma had quite a temper one was not the trifle with.

"Why do you care?" i asked. "I don't know. I just thought maybe you would want to know what is happening in high society of late" Emma said refusing to meet my eye.

"I don not wish to know of things that have no importance to me" i said, slightly afraid of her answer. Beths eyes were glued to the page, though i doubt she was even reading. Emma sighed, leaning over the stove. She seemed rattled.

"Alright then" she said gulping down harshly. "Breakfast is done. I shall see you when i return."
She seemed in a rush this morning to leave. A pit grew in my stomach as i felt as if i had upset her. She didn't even bring anything for herself to eat.

I coughed to relieve the tension that was left in the room. "Could you give this to Mama, see if she'll eat this morning" i said gently, brushing Beths hair. She reluctantly nodded taking the tray of food with shaky hands.

I put a hand to my chest as i watched Beth go upstairs, my breathing acting up as it always does in these type of moments. I knew something was on Emma's mind, but i also had a feeling i didn't want to find out what.