Chpt 8: Mixed Signals

Benedict stuck his head out of the door to see if there was any maids working. We both know how they like to gossip. When we spotted no one there, we ran hand in hand to the dining room. "You must go in there first and say you were admiring the paintings. If they ask where i am, say you have no idea, okay?" he asked. I saluted him playfully and walked into the dining room.

"Juliet dear, we were starting to think you had lost your way" i heard Lady Bridgerton say with a quizzical brow. "I was just admiring your lovely paintings Lady Bridgerton" i said. "You like art? Well my son Benedict is quite the artist himself" Lady Bridgerton replied. I chuckled to myself quietly and found my seat. Unfortunately, there was only two spaces at the table left, and both were either side of Anthony Bridgerton.

I sat down not daring to make eye contact with the man. "Hello again Miss Bennet, how are you this evening?" i heard the viscount say. "I am quite well" i said still not meeting the mans gaze. "Do you have a problem with me Miss Bennet?" Anthony suddenly asked. "I do not have any problem with you Mr Bridgerton, i just simply don't have time for useless conversation" i said. He looked shocked. "I'll have you know i-" he started but was cut off by the girl sitting next to me.

"You mustn't let Anthony trouble you, he's one to talk with those horrendous sideburns" the girl said. We both looked at each-other and let out some loud laughter. I could see Anthony grow more annoyed with every second as he finally left me alone. "I'm Eloise" the girl introduced putting out her hand. "Juliet" i said as i shook her hand. We continued to make conversation when i saw Benedict come into the room.

"You must excuse me i just had to finish up a drawing or i would simply not be able to eat!" he said to the table. As he passed me, i gave him a smile which he returned. Benedict had sat at the other side of his brother but i could feel him staring at me.

As i looked across the table, i saw Simon and Daphne looking like they were arguing...again. At the other end of table i saw the two youngest Bridgertons throwing peas at each other. Overall, the family seemed quite pleasant to be around.

Eloise was ranting about how Lady Whistledown is obviously a woman based of her excellent writing skills and i couldn't help but think how Beth and the young girl would get along quite well. "If you shall excuse me, could you tell me where the bathroom is so i can freshen up?" i asked. "Oh yes, go down the hall and it's the second door on the right" Eloise answered. I nodded and left the room. "If you could excuse me" Anthony said following me out. The whole table went quiet.

I was walking down the hall when i felt someone grab my arm tightly. "Miss Bennet, i need to speak with you" the viscount said dragging me into a room. "Ow, jesus are you trying to rip my arm off!" i exclaimed as the man finally let go and shut the door.

"Why are you so keen on disliking me? I have only met you yesterday and i have already seemed to have offended you" the viscount said in a desperate voice. I could not tell him the true reason for my hatred but i decided to test his patience. "Its not that i do not like you Mr Bridgerton, it is simply i do not respect you nor want anything to do with you" i stated.

"And why is that?" he asked. "Because of your reputation" i replied quickly. Anthony slowly walked towards me making me deeply uncomfortable and somewhat frightened. "Don't tell me you don't think about me, Miss Bennet" he said.

"You believe you are the first woman who has disguised their lust for me with hatred. Don't pretend you do not think about me when you wake up and right before you sleep."

He was extremely close now. "I do not!" i exclaimed pushing him away. "I despise you for reasons you will never understand." He stood still for a second and swiftly came back over and tried to kiss my neck.

I knew Anthony Bridgerton wasn't a horrible man who would take advantage of me, but i also knew that he was the man who finds it hard to believe he is not wanted by every maiden in the tom.

"No, no Anthony get off of me" i shouted. Anthony was about to move away from me when i saw Benedict come in through the door. Anthony stepped back quickly and i saw Benedict running towards him. "No! Benedict! No!" i found myself shouting. He hesitated with his fists still clenched. "Could you, could you just please escort me outside. I would like to leave."

Benedict looked furious but he respected my wishes. "Miss Bennet, i'm sorry i did not mean too-" Anthony started but Benedict cut him off quickly. "Stop talking brother."

Benedict then stared his brother down whilst helping me find the door. When i looked back before i left, i could see Anthony was upset that he has gotten the wrong message. "Are you alright? He didn't touch you or anything?" Benedict questioned. "No, no he just... I would just like to get Simon and leave please" i said not wanting to meet his eyes.

Benedict hesitated for a moment but went and called for Simon saying i unwell and wished to return home. When Simon saw me in the state i was, he ran over to me quickly. "What's happened?" Simon asked bending down before me.

"Nothing. I just want to leave" i said. He knew i was lying but he put his arm in mine and we left. As i got into the carriage, i could see Benedict standing at the door with a large frown. I was still processing what had just happened.

When we arrived home, i didn't even say goodnight to Lady Danbury. I went straight up to my room and got changed into my night dress. Now i want to make this clear, Anthony hadn't disrespected my honour in anyway. He did stop when i told him too, but to Benedict i was afraid it didn't look that way. I was worried he wouldn't look at me the same. Or if he'd tell people.

The only thing i wanted right now was to have Beth and Emma to comfort me. Or...even Benedict.