Chpt 10: Jealousy

A few days had passed, and time felt like it had stood still. There had been no balls, the weather had not been great so promenading through the ton was put on hold and i tried to keep my Lady Danbury and i's conversation to a two words minimum. I thought the silent treatment would work to suede her mind, but alas, nothing has changed.

But time had not been still for Simon. I believe him and Daphne were getting on quite well. Lady Whistledown writes that they should soon be engaged... If only Simon would ask.

I've had six callers so far, all of which i had nothing in common with. In all honesty, i had been quite lonely these past few days. The only company i truly had was the maids and even they were quite dull now that they believe i am a woman of status.

Simon had been absent of late. If he wasn't spending all his time with Daphne, then he would stay with his friend, Will Mondrich, at his boxing arena. I heard he was one of the most skilled fighters in all of England, his wins were countless.

But solitude was not all bad. I spent all my time reading and painting as much as i can. I also sent many letters to my sisters, i even got some replies but they kept it to a minimum. They did not wish to "distract me" i suppose.

I was sitting in the drawing room about to start a new book when Lady Danbury walked in. "Miss Bennet" she greeted. "Lady Danbury" i nodded. There was a minute of silence. The tension building as time went on.

"I've noticed you've seemed rather idle these past few of days" she said. "Well yes Lady Danbury. When no one in the house speaks to me, not even the maids, i suppose i would get lonely" i muttered with spite. Lady Danburys face scrunched with disgust.

I suppose i had let my tongue get the better of me, but as i said my temper is one i can not fight.
"Then i'm guessing you would like some company then" she said. I fought the urge to roll my eyes. I did not want her company at this minute.

"Please Lady Danbury, i'm feeling rather tired. I can't see any new suitors at the moment" i resister still looking at my book. "Juliet" i heard a familiar voice call out. I looked up to see Beth standing in the doorway. She had her cat in her arms, and a daisies tucked into her thick braid.

"Beth!" i said throwing my book away and launching towards her. She giggled running towards me, meeting me a long overdue embrace.
"What are you doing here?" i asked with a smile.

Beth looked to Lady Danbury who had a cunning smirk painted across her face. "Thank you, Lady Danbury" i thanked sincerely. "My pleasure. Sometimes all one needs is family" the lady said, almost looking as if she did not believe the words that left her mouth.

"Where is Emma?" i questioned. "Emma had to stay home with mama. And she can not be seen here i'm afraid" Beth said. For a second, i had forgotten all about our ruse. "Now Miss Beth, I am afraid you can not wear that dress while we socialise. I had the modiste make you two new dresses that should be suitable for our outing" Lady Danbury said. "New dresses?" Beth exclaimed in awe. "Come on Beth, i'll show you around the house" i said grabbing her hand as we toured the grand mansion.

A couple of hours had passed, which Beth and i spent speaking of the ton. I told her about all the new people i had met, all the new things i has seen and of course, i warned her of Lady Whistledown. After Beth had settled in, she tried on her new dresses. Beth had never worn a corset before so it was a struggle to try get her in one.

I waited in the hall for Beth to finish dressing until she came out looking as beautiful as ever. She was in a dark, red dress with small lace designs which suited her. "God sister. I must shrunk you back down" i said taking her into my arms. "How can you be a woman this soon?"