Chpt 27: The Suitors

As the five of us made our way into the ball, we saw everyone dancing, eating and gossiping. "Just remember to breathe" Kate said to Edwina and i. "Juliet?!" i heard a voice shout.

I looked to see Alice Carter running towards me. She embraced me so tightly to the point where i felt as if i could not breathe. "I did not know you were joining the season! Why didn't you tell me?!" she exclaimed.

"Well... Neither did i. It's a long story" i said shrugging my shoulders. Alice was about to speak until someone shouted her name from across the room. "That's my mama... I better go but, i'll see you soon, okay?" Alice said rushing back to her mother.

Around an hour had passed and the five of us were looking around the ball room discussing all the suitable suitors. "I know that gentlemen" Kate said abruptly. "Who?" Edwina questioned.

I looked around to see who Kate was talking about. I saw she was staring directly at no other than Anthony Bridgerton. "The viscount?" i asked.

"I do not believe i have yet made an introduction" Lady Danbury said accusingly. "Of course... It must be my mistake" Kate replied. I noticed Kate could not take her eyes of the rake.

"Well, you have quite the eye. Viscount Bridgerton is wealthy, well connected and from one of the tons most illustrious families" Lady Danbury said. I scoffed. "That's not the word i'd use for them" i said sipping my drink. Lady Danbury gave me a small nudge in my arm.

"He may very well be our most eligible bachelor, indeed" Lady Danbury added. "He is very handsome" Edwina said looking at him in awe. "Yes... I suppose he is" Kate said also looking at the man in awe.

As i saw someone walk towards us, i remembered that is was the same man i had danced with last season. The only thing i could remember about him was that he was making some very disturbing comparisons between me and his sister.

I quickly tried to walk away but Lady Danbury grabbed my arm before i could escape. "Miss Bennet, your back!" the man exclaimed. "Yes sir, i am" i said displeased. "Would you like to dance?" he asked.

My eyes widened and i looked to Lady Danbury for help. "She would be delighted" Lady Danbury said pushing me towards him. I took his hand and looked back to Kate and Edwina for help. I saw them both trying to hide their chuckles.

As we were dancing, he was trying to make useless conversation. "So... Your sister died then?" the man said trying to make conversation. I looked at him disgust. "Well... Yes she did" i said rolling my eyes.

"Was she at least dim witted. If she was, i'm sure you were happy to get rid of her" the man said with a chuckle. I pushed the man off me immediately.

"How dare you speak about my sister like that. I'll have you know, my sister was the most kind, genuine, passionate young lady i have ever met. And you do not even deserve to speak of her. And i'll also have you know, you are the most unappealing, ill-mannered, villainous-" i said raging at the man until i felt a hand cover my mouth.

"My apologies sir, if you will excuse Miss Bennet, i think she had some bad wine" i heard a voice say. I pushed the persons hand off my mouth and looked to see who it was. It was Anthony Bridgerton. I rolled my eyes. "God, could today get any worse" i said putting my head in my hands.

"I'll have you know young lady, i have never met a woman with such appealing looks, yet such a ugly personality. You would be lucky to get someone like me. I'm sure no one else will lower their standards for a ghastly woman like you" the man said raising his voice at me.

I tilted my head in anger. I was about to give this man a taste of his own medicine until i felt Anthony step in front of me. "Miss Bennet, i believe you should be leaving" he said gesturing for me to get the hell out of there.

I crossed my arms and i stomped away. "Listen sir, as you know Miss Bennet has had a tough year and this is her first time back. She did not mean to raise her voice" Anthony said as he was about to walk away.

He suddenly stopped and turned back. "And i'll have you know, if you decide to speak to Miss Bennet like that again, i will tell my brother everything you have said this evening. And i can assure you, he will not let you go as easy as i have" Anthony said in a calm, yet assertive voice.

The man stood there in shock. Anthony gave him a half smile as he walked away.

I looked around the room until i spotted Kate. "Well, you look cheerful" Kate said sarcastically. I stood in there in angry silence. What the man said about Beth had made my blood boil. "I'm guessing your not having fun either?" Kate questioned.

"I most certainly am not" i replied. Kate lightly nudged my arm. "Well then, i say we should take our leave" she said with a reassuring smile. I gave her a gentle smile back and Kate left to find Edwina.

I made my way outside onto the stairs, and took a deep breathe of the fresh air. I then suddenly got a whif of tobacco. I looked around and saw no one. I decided to ignore it until i heard someone shuffling around.

I leaned over the side of the staircase, and a gasp left my mouth as i saw who was standing there. I saw Benedict Bridgerton standing under the stairs with a cigarette in one hand and a drink in the other.

Before i could run, he looked up and his mouth fell open. I ducked down suddenly, praying there might have been a chance that he did not see me.

I was quietly cursing to myself as i crept up from behind the wall to see if Benedict was still there. "Miss Bennet?" i hear a voice say. I sighed with embarrassment as i already knew who it was.

"Mr Bridgerton" i said in a cold and embarrassed tone. "Are you stalking me?" he questioned playfully. I looked at him in annoyance.

"I was not, now if you'll excuse me, i have to go find Lady Danbury so we can take our leave" i said walking inside the ball.

"Wait! Your leaving already?" he questioned. "Yes, my company and i have grown quite weary" i replied. Benedict nodded his head slowly. There was awkward silence for a moment.

"So... How have you-" Benedict began to say. "Don't. Please, don't" i said cutting him off. His cocky, arrogant expression slowly faded. I began to walk away when i thought, why should i be the one left hurt in this situation. Why should i be left with no answers.

I turned around swiftly to face him. "Why didn't you write to me? I was mourning my sister, and you did not think to write me, even once? For a whole year Benedict! Even Anthony wrote to Emma and i. Your just- Your unbelievable do you know that?! And then you talk to me as if nothing has happened!?" i shouted.

"What are you talking about?" he asked. I shook my head. "Jesus Benedict could you at least-" i shouted but went silent as i saw the Sharma's make their way outside.

"Is everything alright out here?" Lady Mary questioned. "Yes... Just... Two friends catching up" i said with a fake smile. "Alright, are you coming?" Kate asked. "Yes. Give my regards to your family Mr Bridgerton" i said scurrying off quickly.

"Miss Bennet i-" Benedict began to say but stopped as he saw i was already getting into the carriage.

On the way home, the Sharma's gossiped about the night. They were swapping their thoughts on the suitors. I stayed quiet thinking of what Benedict had said.

Why was he acting so confused? He knew that i was right... But was i right to confront him like that? I mean, i did leave him but i just thought... I thought he liked me.

"Juliet?" i heard Edwina say, snapping me out of my daydream. "Sorry, what?" i asked. "I asked if you enjoyed your night?" she asked with a bright smile.

"Oh, yes it was fine" i replied with a fake smile. Kate looked at me quizzically. "Who was that man you were with, at the door?" Kate asked.

"Mr Bridgerton? Oh well, he's eh, he's an old acquaintance" i said looking down as i played with my fingers. "Mr Bridgerton?! As in, Viscount Bridgertons brother?" Kate exclaimed.

"Yes... Why?" i asked. "I do not like that family" she said sternly. I chuckled.

"Most of them are fine... It's just the men" i said jokingly.