Chpt 18: The Truth

I have been to a couple of balls this past week. They were all quite dull. I didn't know anyone there. I also haven't seen Benedict. He's probably with Alice since i haven't seen her either.

Lady Whistledown also hasn't written in a while. I wonder if she's finally giving up her nasty schemes. Lady Danbury has been trying to get me to socialise more, but no men have caught my eye. The social season is almost ending and there has been no suitors that i have taking a liken to.

I will probably have to settle for a boring man who brings me no joy. Emma and Beth have not written since they left. I have sent them multiple letters but no response.

I don't think i've ever felt more isolated. Simon is gone, Emma and Beth are not writing, Benedict is... Well busy...

"Good morning" Lady Danbury said eating her food. "Morning" i said taking a bite of my toast. "Any letters?" Lady Danbury asked. "No... Not one."

As i was eating, i saw Lady Whistledown on the table. "Has she written?!" i asked suprised. "Yes, and you won't believe what has happened" Lady Danbury said sliding the piece of parchment towards me. As i started reading it my eyes widened and my mouth dropped.

"As if the Featheringtons did not have enough to be dealing with, Miss Marina Thompson is with child... and she has been from the very first day she arrived in our fair city"

"Oh my god" is all i could get out. "She was pregnant this whole time?!?" i said in shock. "It seems so, i believe we should go pay them a visit today" she said. "Yes of course. They must be devastated" i said.

Lady Danbury and i got ready and hastily went straight to the Bridgerton household. "Lady Danbury, Miss Bennet, what are you two doing here?" lady Bridgerton asked as she opened the door. "We thought you would like some biscuits and company" i said handing Lady Bridgerton a basket full of warm cookies and other sweets.

She welcomed us in and we made our way to the drawing room. As i walked in, the whole Bridgerton clan was inside. Everyone but Benedict which i was... grateful for. I also noticed Colin was not there.

"I know you both probably wanted to see Colin to see how he is getting on but i'm afraid he's in his room... resting" Lady Bridgerton said handing the youngest children the basket of sweets. "And Benedict?" i asked.

I did not know why i asked where he was, it's not like i cared... I think. The room went quiet and i could see Lady Danbury trying her hardest not to laugh. "We'll Benedict is-" Lady Bridgerton began but was cut off by someone walking into the room.

"Hello everyone, what's smells so nice in here?" Benedict said walking into the room not noticing that i was there. When Benedict looked up, he saw Lady Danbury and i. "Oh... Hello" he said with a soft but awkward smile. "Mr Bridgerton" i nodded.

The room was silent again i could feel the tension, i knew everyone else felt it too. "Children, may we make our way to the dining room?" Lady Bridgerton said ushering everyone out. Everyone began to leave including Benedict until Lady Bridgerton made her way in front of him.

"No, you stay dear" she said smiling. Benedict gave her an annoyed look and everyone left. Benedict and i stood there without saying a word. "Tea?" Benedict asked with a voice crack. He coughed. "Tea?" he said in a deeper tone.

I sat on the sofa while Benedict poured the tea. "So, how have you been Miss Bennet?" he asked. I hated him calling me Miss Bennet instead of Juliet. "I'm well... And you?" i asked. "I'm fine" he replied. He walked over to me and handed me my tea.

I left it grow cold as we sat in silence. "I believe we should address the situation" he mumbled. "What situation?" i asked sarcastically. He gave me an annoyed look. "Juliet, you must understand, i thought you and Mr Brooke's were... Were... You know" he said looking down.

"But Benedict, you did not even ask me. You didn't even listen to me when i tried to tell you what happened, do you not trust me?" i asked.

"No! No it's, it's not that, it's just, the whole time we spent together i felt as though i did not deserve to be with a woman like you. I know, that sounds like an excuse but you must know Juliet, i never meant to hurt you, truly i didn't" he said in a desperate tone.

I looked to see if he was was lying. I could always tell if people were telling the truth or not and he wasn't. "Benedict... You we're never not enough for me. If you knew everything then you would know that i'm just-"

He leaned in closer. "Your just what?" he asked pushing back my hair. I could feel a tear trying to escape my eye. It wasn't a sad tear. It was a tear of lies. I wanted to tell him the truth desperately. Maybe then, he would realise he shouldn't be with me.

"Benedict" i said touching his face. "You deserve everything and more. You deserve someone like Alice, someone who's beautiful and smart and can give you a future, i am not that" i said hopelessly.

With no hesitation, Benedict leaned in and kissed me deeply. This kiss was like no other. This kiss was Benedict telling me i'm enough.

"Would you ever shut up?" Benedict said with a low laugh. I chuckled back. He looked at me for a moment as if he was thinking. "Juliet, i need to know now. Do you lo-" Benedict began but was cut off by someone entering the room.

It was Lady Danbury. "Juliet" she said in distressed tone. I knew something was wrong when Lady Danbury called me by my name and not Miss Bennet. I do not believe she's ever called me Juliet before.

"What? What has happened?" i said standing up. Lady Danbury looked incredibly anxious. "Lady Danbury, what has happened?" i said fearfully. "The servants dropped off a letter... It's from your sisters" she said. "What does it say?" i said walking over to her.

She handed me the letter as i opened it hastily. I read the letter quickly and stood there in shock. I felt my breath leaving my chest quicker than ever. I slowly felt my knees weaken and Benedict held me up straight.

"Juleit, What's wrong?" he asked confused. I couldn't speak. "Juliet!" Benedict said lightly shaking me.

"I must go home" i said panting. "It's Beth.."