Chpt 33: Soirée And Spitefulness

The next morning, i woke up to see Lady Danbury asleep in the arm chair next to my bed. I groaned as i remembered everything that had happened last night. I heard a light knock on my door as i saw Kates head pop in.

She gestured me to come outside so i tiptoed out of the room, as to not wake Lady Danbury. "Do you want to go for a ride?" Kate asked holding up a pair of riding shoes. I nodded as i went to get changed.

The scenery surrounding Aubrey Hall was quite beautiful. The fields were as long as the eye could see. "It's quite magnificent, is it not?" Kate questioned. "Its wonderful" i replied.

Kate looked tense as if she wanted to ask me something. "Are you alright?" i asked. Kate stayed silent for a moment. "You know the viscount quite well, right?" she asked.

"Well... I guess i do" i replied. "What do you think of him?" she asked. I was confused to why Kate was asking my opinion. She is so strong willed i thought she would not want anyone else's advice.

"The viscount may seem ill mannered and obnoxious at first but, he is actually very caring and can be sweet. He cares for his family dearly and that means he will care for you dearly, when he asks Miss Edwina for her hand" i said with a grin.

"Yes... Of course... When he asks my sister for her hand" Kate said looking down at the ground. I could feel some tension as my smile faded. "I'm sorry, did i say something wrong?" i asked.

"No... Not at all. We should really be getting back now" Kate said as she rode ahead of me. I was confused to what i had said to offend her, but i rode on trying to ignore it.

A couple of hours later, all the other guests arrived for the soirée. I wore a light blue dress with a small daisy clip in my hair. I looked around the party to try and find Edwina and Kate, but i could not spot them anywhere.

It was then i felt a gentle tap on my shoulder. As i turned around, i saw the sight of Alice holding a small bouquet of yellow roses.

I gave her a soft smile. "You must know i am truly sorry Juliet. I want to be braver than i have been... I will be braver than i have been. I don't care what my mama says about you or my reputation or anything else i just-" Alice ranted but i swiftly cut her off my embracing her.

The truth was, i had thought a lot about Alice and our friendship. Her letters were one of things that kept me going when i was missing Beth. Even when i thought Benedict did not care to write to me, i'd get a letter from Alice nearly every day in the post.

Alice dropped the flowers and embraced my tightly. "I know" i replied with a chuckle. Alice laughed with me as she wiped the small tears that fell from her eyes. "Now, come on, let me put these in a vase" i said as we made our way inside manor.

Alice looked around at the grand house. She did have a lot of money, but i knew her parents were struggling for a while and had to sell most of their items. I guided her upstairs as i put the flowers in an empty vase.

"So, how has it been?" Alice asked with a grin. "What do you mean?" i questioned. "Being here... With Benedict" she whispered. I rolled my eyes as i ignored her. "Oh come on, your telling me your both still denying that you have feelings for one another?" Alice asked with a scoff.

"Quite frankly it is none of your business" i replied. "It is my business because i know if i do not get involved now, you two will end up never speaking of your feelings and you will end up an old maid!" she exclaimed.

"Okay, will i bring up the time i was going to speak of my feelings until i found him kissing you at Henry Granville's party?" i asked sarcastically. "Hey! We've been over this, i did not know you loved him then!" she said.

"And who ever said i loved him?" i asked. "It's quite obvious" she replied smugly. I rolled my eyes and laughed as i linked her arm in mine."So... What about you then? Has anyone caught your eye?" i asked.

"Well-" Alice began but was cut off by someone standing in front of us. "Alice!... Miss Bennet" Cressida hissed through gritted teeth. I rolled my eyes.

"Really Miss Carter, you must know we do not judge you because of your brothers actions! You. can join us for the rest of the soirée instead of... Her" she said.

Alice let out a small scoff. I knew that the comment about her brother had gotten to her. She linked my arm tighter as she kept walking. "Miss Carter! What are you doing?" Cressida questioned.

"To be honest Miss Cowper, i would rather much spend my time with someone who actually knows how to keep a conversation going about things other than themselves. And also, never speak of my brother again, alright?" Alice said angrily.

I chuckled lightly as Cressida scowled at me. "And who are you laughing at?" she hissed. I tried to hold in my laughter but i just couldn't. I laughed so hard i almost snorted.

"You may be laughing now Miss Bennet, but your not going to be laughing when Mr Bridgerton leaves you for someone who's not trash" she said. My smile faded.

"Look Miss Cowper, i know the only thing you care about is male validation but i'll have you know i have my integrity. Also, i do not know why you care so much about Mr Bridgerton and i but we are just friends. And if we weren't, it's none of your business" i hissed.

Cressida scoffed. She was about to make another snarky comment until her face dropped as she looked behind me. I then felt someone lean on my shoulder.

I looked to see Benedict Bridgerton leaning on me and Alice's shoulders. "Hello ladies, what are we all chatting about today?" he said with a smug grin. I looked to Cressida. "Nothing... Mr Bridgerton" she said looking at the ground.

A smile crept on my face. I saw Alice in the corner of my eye trying her hardest not to laugh. "Miss Bennet, could i speak with you?" he asked. I nodded my head as we walked away.

"So, how good is your aim?" he asked. "I'm sorry what?" i questioned. "Your aim? Have you ever shot anything before?" he asked. I stopped in my tracks. "No i have not nor will i!" i exclaimed.

"Sorry, i forgot who i was talking too" he said sarcastically. "But... Would you like to come with me on the hunt? I mean us! Like, there will be other people there, i mean, not just me!" Benedict rambled.

I laughed at him getting so nervous. "As long as i don't have to shoot anything... I'll come" i said with a soft smile. Benedict's anxious expression slowly turned into a bright smile.

"When?" i asked. "Right now?!" he replied with a chuckle.

Authors note:
-Finally, more exciting chapters coming!!