Chpt 15: The Duel

When i was young, Emma sat me down to talk to me about men. She informed me about how vile most of them are and how you should never let them touch you. A spell she warned. A spell that would make you never want to be touched by anyone else except that one person. Now i know what she meant.

I had my back to Benedict as he began to tie my ribbons up once more. As he did, he spoke of stars. He seemed to know a lot about them. But i was not truly listening. I was much too distracted by this feeling that had grown in the pit of my stomach. A feeling i needed more of by the second.

"Juliet" he he called waving his hands in my face. "Are you quite alright?" he asked. I gave a happy sigh. "Not really because i know what all of the stars are called. I read a book about it years ago" i said with a smirk. "So you just let me rattle on about them for no good reason then?" he questioned with laughter. "Well, i happen to like your voice."

A smile tugged at his lips as he leaned in closer to me. That was until we heard shouting from the across garden. Familiar voices bickering back and forth. "Daphne?" Benedict muttered. We quickly stood to our feet and fixed our clothes whilst running to see what had happened.

When we got to where the noise was coming from, we say Anthony, Daphne and Simon. Anthony was relentlessly punching Simon whilst Daphne was screaming at him to stop.

"What on earth is going on here?" Benedict shouted as i ran to Simons aid. "He was taking advantage of her!" Anthony shouted. "What?" i asked in disbelief.

"No, it was my fault. I took liberties with him" Daphne said pushing Anthony back. "You will marry her" Anthony stated.

"What?" said Daphne. "Immediately. We can only hope no one saw you take such liberties and my sister is saved from further mortification. You will mary her."

"Brother!" Daphne shouted. "I can not marry her" Simon said as i tried to wipe the blood from his face. We all paused at Simon words as i could see Daphnes face grow pale.

"You have defiled her innocence, and now you refuse her hand?" Benedict said chiming in. Simon looked at the ground not wanting to meet any of our eyes. "I knew you were a rake, Hastings, i never thought you a villain" Anthony snapped taking a steep closer to him.

"We must all breathe" i said standing in his way.
"I can not marry her" Simon repeated. I was beyond confused why Simon would not just marry her. He obviously had feelings for her or he would have left her alone weeks ago.

"Then you leave me no choice. I must demand satisfaction" Anthony said. Simon closed his eyes and put his head down in disappointment. "A duel? Anthony, you can not-" Benedict began but was cut off.

"He dishonoured our sister. He dishonoured you, me, Daphne and the very Bridgerton name. I have misjudged you, indeed. You have duped us both, but i shall not see my sister pay for my own misdeeds. We will settle this as gentlemen" Anthony shouted.

"I understand. I shall see you at dawn" Simon said. "No, please you can not" i said tearing up at the thought that one of them would not live tomorrow. "I do not understand" Daphne said i'm confusion looking at Simon. "You would rather die than marry me?" she asked.

"I am truly sorry" Simon muttered finally meeting Daphnes gaze. "We need to go, Daph, before anyone should see us" Anthony said pulling Daphne away. Daphne gave Simon one last look before she left. Benedict then walked away with his siblings turning around giving me a half smile as to say goodbye.

"What the hell did you do?" i spat giving Simon a small punch in his chest. "You would never understand" Simon said walking past me. "Then explain it to me, explain to me why you are such a prick all the time" i shouted. He stopped for a moment. I almost thought we would give me an answer.