Chpt 19: Like Nothings Changed

I ran to the carriage and Lady Danbury ran swiftly behind me. Benedict called after me but i wasn't listening, i was just focused on getting home. As we were riding home i heard a carriage behind us.

When we got home, i ran out of the carriage and ran straight to my room to pack my bags. As i was packing some came into my room. "Juliet, are you okay? What did your sister write?" Benedict said. I continued packing mumbling to myself.

"Juliet, hey, Juliet" Benedict said trying to make me face him. I pushed him off and continued packing. "Juliet breathe, just stop for a second" he said pushing my suitcase away.

I looked at him with a blank face. I suddenly broke down. I slowly fell to the floor and Benedict embraced me. "Hey, it's okay, your okay" he said trying to comfort me.

I sobbed in his arms for about 10 minutes. I just couldn't stop. When i finally gathered myself, i sat up and leaned against the bed. "Emma wrote that Beth is sick. She felt ill right before she left but apparently she's gotten much worse. They didn't want to bother me and write to come home but... They don't know if-" i tried to speak but the words wouldn't come out.

"I don't even want to say it" i said putting my head in my hands. I could tell Benedict didn't know what to say so he just sat next to me. I put my head on Benedicts shoulder and he put his head on mine.

A couple of hours later, i packed my bags and it was time to say my goodbyes. I stood in front of Lady Danbury unsure if it was okay to hug her. She put her arms out gesturing me that it was okay. I embraced her tightly. "Write me to check in okay?" she said. "Promise" i replied.

I turned to Benedict. "You sure you don't want me to go with you?" he asked. I wanted nothing more than to have him come with me but then he'd find out about my lies. "I'm sure" i said with a soft smile. He embraced me tightly and kissed the top of my head.

I got into the carriage and gave Lady Danbury and Benedict one last look. Benedict gave me a reassuring smile as to tell me everything would be okay.

When i got home, i got my bags and Emma greeted me at the door. She had puffy, red eyes so i could tell she was crying. "Where is she?" i asked. "She's in her room" Emma replied looking at the floor. I pushed passed her and ran to Beths room. She was laying weakly on the bed with her eyes open. I gave a light knock and opened the door.

"Hey" i said trying to keep a brave face. "Juliet! What are you doing here?" she asked surprised. "Emma wrote that you weren't feeling well so i came to you" i said with a soft smile. "I told her not to write to you, i didn't want to disrupt your stay at Lady Danbury's" she said.

I sat on the chair beside her bed and stoked her hair. "So you didn't want to see me?" i said playfully trying to lighten the mood. She laughed. "Of course i wanted to see you it's just... Juliet i- I don't know what's wrong with me" she said tearing up.

I tried my best to hold back my tears so i wouldn't worry her. "Your going to be okay" i said biting my lip. "You have to be okay". I looked around and saw a book with a bookmark in it. "Are you reading this?" i asked. Beth wiped her tears and said "Oh yea, i took it from Lady Danbury's, i hope she doesn't mind it's just i've read every book in the house".

I got up and grabbed the book. I climbed into the single bed and laid down with her. "Oh i've read this book, this is about the farm boy and the princess right?" i asked. "Yea, i'm only in the middle of it right now" she said. I opened the book and began reading it to her as i continued stroking her hair.

A couple of hours later, Beth had fallen asleep and Emma slept next to her. I decided to go into mothers room. She was lying down but she was awake. "Mother, i'm back" i said to her. She didn't reply. I didn't expect her too but it still hurts every time.

"I've been gone for over three months, aren't you happy to see me?" i asked. Again, there was silence. "Beths ill mom. She's ill and we don't know what's going to happen" i said. She didn't even look at me. "Mom, I said Beths ill... Your youngest daughter is ill and you don't even care?" i asked. I stood in front of her bed and just stared at her with disappointment.

"Get up mom!" i shouted at her as i pulled the blanket off her. "Just get up!". Suddenly, Emma burst in the room. "What is going on?" she asked. She looked around the room to see the blanket on the floor. I looked at her and she could see i was crying. "Juliet..." she said walking over to me. She embraced me knowing how angry i was.

"I hate her" i said. Emma wasn't surprised by me saying this. We were all thinking it but none of us had actually said it before. "She's meant to be our mother, she's meant to take care of us not the other way around" i said.

Emma stoped for a second thinking of what to say. "I know" she said still embracing me.

The next morning, Emma and i made Beths favourite breakfast. It was tea and cake. I know it's not a proper breakfast but we let her have it on special occasions. We both walked into her room and she smiled brightly seeing what we had made.

"Thank you!" she said. We handed here the meal and sat beside her. "What's the special occasion?" she asked. The room went silent. I looked at Emma trying to think of what to say. "Juliet has finally met her match" she said with a fake smile.

"Really!" Beth said in excitement. "Really?" i said angrily. She nudged me hard in the ribs as she kept smiling at Beth. "Yes, yes i have" i said rubbing my ribs. "Who?!" she exclaimed.

Emma looked at me with a fake smile on her face waiting for me to say something. "Well, that's a secret aye, i'll tell you when the times right" i said. Beth raised her eyebrows with judgment and laughed. "Well okay" she said sarcastically eating her breakfast.

As Emma and i left Beths room she stopped me. "Why didn't you tell Beth about Benedict? She wouldn't care you know" she said. It was then i realised i hadn't told Emma about Benedict and Alice. "Well, i have just decided i'm going to keep my options opened" i said with smile as i walked away.

"Hey!" she said holding my hand. "Did something happen?" she asked. "Nope, nothing happened" i replied. "Listen Juliet, i know you're practically a woman now since your trying to find a husband but i'm still you sister. You can talk to me" she said. "I'm fine, just leave it okay" i said sternly as i walked away.

I know i wasn't the nicest but i really didn't want to face Emma right now. I got into my room and sat down on my bed. I put my head in my hands and just took a moment to think about everything.

So much has happened over the past few months and now this with Beth? It felt as if my whole life had changed in such little time. Little did i know, much more was about to change. And it was going to change quick.

Authors note:
- Hey, so this chapter was kinda boring but the next few chapters will be more interesting <33