Chpt 20: The Meaning Of Flowers

I have been at home for about a week now. Beth seems to have gotten weaker by the day but according to Lady Danbury, Beth would be better off staying at her house instead of at home on the farm. She said that she is better off staying at her manor because Beth would be in a "cleaner and safer" environment.

Beth and i strongly disagreed, if she's ill why move her from her home? But, Emma agreed with Lady Danbury so Beth and i are getting a carriage back to London. Lady Danbury said Emma can visit once in a while but not as often as we'd like due to the circumstances of our secrets.

Beth is very upset about this. I have come to realise when Beth is upset she won't speak until she gets her way. Therefore, she has not even looked at Emma since she found out she is being forced to go back to London.

I was awoken by Emma screaming my name to get up. Three months ago, i would have given anything to have Emma shut up but since i've stayed at Lady Danbury's, Emma's yelling is music to my ears. As i walked down the stairs, the kitchen table had hot tea, toast (not burnt which was unusual), fresh eggs, cake and other extravagant foods.

"Wow, this is... Surprising" i said. "A good surprising or a bad surprising?" Emma asked as she was frantically whisking something. "Good, good surprising but... What's with the fancy breakfast?" i asked. Emma put down the bowel she was whisking and leaned over the counter steadying her breath.

"Hey, what's wrong?" i asked putting my hand on her back. "It's nothing i just... I want this breakfast to be... Memorable" she said still leaning over the counter. "Why, you are going to be able to come see us while we are in Lady Danbury's" i said. Emma looked at me with watery eyes. "You don't know that" she said. I could tell Emma was worried about Beths health declining.

I embraced her immediately when i saw she was upset. "Hey, everything's going to be okay, i promise, you know i can read the future" i said with a smile. She lightly chuckled.

"Do you think she'll be okay? Did i make the wrong choice sending her to London? I just... I just want her to be safe and have good doctors instead of being in this dusty old house thats practically falling apart!" she said laughing but i could tell she was stressed.

"She'll be safe there, Lady Danbury has the best doctors for her. And, she can have all the mouth watering food she wants" i said. Emma gave me an annoyed look. "Not that your cooking is bad its just... Well... You know" i said stuttering. She gave me a fake smile. "Just go get her okay, hopefully she'll talk to me before she leaves" Emma said she as she went back to cooking.

I walked upstairs and knocked on Beths door. I walked in and Beth was already awake just staring at the wall. She couldn't get out of bed these days without help. I knew this upset her because she always loved to be outside and was a very independent girl.

"Hey" i said with a soft smile sitting on the bed next to her. "Is it time to go?" she asked. "Not yet but, Emma made us breakfast! She has all your favourites, she has cake and Delilah and Harriet just laid fresh eggs and-" i said but was cut off.

"I'm not hungry" Beth said as she kept staring at the wall. I looked at her worriedly for a moment. "Beth, please don't be mad at Emma, you know she's only sending you to London for your own good right?" i said. Beth scoffed.

"No, Emma's sending me to Lady Danbury's because she thinks i'm turning into mama and she doesn't want to deal with me" she said folding her arms. "Hey! Beth that's not true and you know it! Now, Emma has been up all morning trying to make this breakfast perfect for you because she feels so guilty about you leaving. Even though, the person who affects this the most is her because she will be left all alone, worrying while we're together!!" i shouted.