Chpt 9: The Garden Party

I woke up that morning to find Simon and Lady Danbury eating their breakfast in silence. "So, is anyone going to tell me what happened at the Bridgertons yesterday evening?" Lady Danbury questioned. Simon looked at me but i just kept my head down and kept eating. "Fine, i suppose we will never know. Keep me in the dark after i invite you into my home. Why should i care?"

"Nothing happened. I felt ill so Simon and i left. That is it" i snapped. "Is this what happened Simon?" Lady Danbury asked. Simon paused. He in truth did not know the real reason either. "Yes, that's what happened" he said. Lady Danbury knew i was lying but she gave up and accepted she would never find out why.

That day, Simon and i went on a ride. We talked about everything in each other's lives one another had missed when i lived in the country and him living from place to place. Simon has had quite an interesting life. He's been to many party's and been with many woman whilst i had never even been touched by a man which i was fine with. Emma used to say the minute a man touches you it's like your under a spell that will never break.

"So, shall we talk about last night?" Simon finally gathered up the courage to ask. I sighed. "For someone who says he keeps such 'great company' you couldn't be more wrong about that Mr Bridgerton" i said.

Simon did not understand my meaning. "Was he the reason you wanted to leave? Did he do something?" he questioned. "Nothing terrible. The man is just foul. I don't understand how you count him as a friend."

Simon found this funny. "He may seem foul, but he has done me good. He was a fun yet gentile man in Oxford. Once you get past the arrogance, you will understand he is a good man" he said.

We continued our ride avoiding the subject of the Bridgertons. When i had brought up Daphne, Hastings shut me down right away. It seemed the rake was vexed by the woman.

As always, there was a ball that night. I tried to act ill so i wouldn't have to go but Lady Danbury was already mad that i had lied to her about the dinner. So we went. When we got there, the ball was situated in the gardens which i liked. I could finally breathe in this corset.

I was standing on my own when i felt someone tap me on the shoulder. It was Anthony. "Miss Bennet" Anthony began, staring at his shoes.
"Viscount Bridgerton" i said with a nod. "I wanted to apologise for my actions yesterday" he uttered. "No sir really i-" i began to say but i was cut off quickly.

"No, truly Miss Bennet i did not want to disrespect your honour and for that i am truly sorry. I should have listened to you instead of reading signals that did not even exist. You seem like a lovely young woman and i can understand why you do not like me. You have every reason to hate me now. And i shall not hold that against you."

The man seemed sincere with his apology. An apology from a Viscount was something unheard of. Especially to a woman. "Thank you Mr Bridgerton. And if you must know, i do not hate you. I have some troubles of my own which i decided to blame on you" i said.

The truth was i did dislike Anthony for what he had done to Emma in the past. But i can not hold being a rake over his head forever. Anthony gave a soft smile before taking his leave.

I was grateful for the apology but now i wanted to try and find Benedict so i could speak with him.
I walked into the private parts of the garden to see if Benedict was there. I felt as if i had looked everywhere for him so i sat down on the bench. "Hello Miss, have you seen Daphne Bridgerton around here? Young girl, smooth skin, pleasant bosoms?" a man asked walking over to me.

The man looked like a living rat and i found it terribly distasteful how he described Daphne. "No, my apologies i haven't" i said back fighting the urge not to roll my eyes.