Chpt 16: Star Crossed Lovers

I rode home as quickly as i could as to make sure Lady Danbury and my sister wouldn't see that i was missing.

When i got home, i ran up the stairs, tiptoed into my room and shut the door gently. I quickly got changed back into my nightdress and climbed into my bed. A few moments later, Emma comes charging in.

"Good morning" she said sitting on my bed. "Morning" i say groggily pretending as if i had just woken up. "Beth and i are to be leaving soon, i thought you would like to say goodbye."

"Of course, where is Beth?" i asked. "She said she is feeling unwell, i believe she just does not want to say goodbye" she said.

I got up out of bed and made my way to their bedroom. I helped them pack the last of their things and we made our way to the hall. "Oh how i will miss you both" i said embracing them tightly. "Promise to write to us more?" Beth said. "I promise."

I helped them get their bags in the carriage. "Juliet, a quick word?" Emma asked. We walked away from the carriage so Beth wouldn't hear us.

"I have done a lot of thinking, and maybe i was quick to judge the Bridgertons. Anthony made me give him our address so he can write to check up on me. If you believe Benedict is the right man for you, then you have my blessing to court him" she said with a soft smile.

I jumped on her and embrace her tightly. "Thank you sister" i said. "This truly means the world to me." I walked Emma back to the carriage and as they drove off. I then chased the carriage blowing them kisses through the window until they were out of sight.

When i arrived back inside, i made my way into the dining room for breakfast. "So, have your sisters gone home?" Lady Danbury asked. "They have" i said solemnly. "Oh do not worry dear, the end of the season is close, when it is all over you and your husband may be able to live close to your sisters" she said with a smile.

Today was the day of Daphne and Simons wedding. It was organised quickly so they could avoid scandal but i was excited none the less.

I wore my finest dress which was blue with dark blue lace. Lady Danbury and i made our way into the magnificent church. It was a small wedding with close friends and family only. I sat on Simons side with Lady Danbury and the Mondrichs. On Daphnes side sat the whole Bridgerton clan.

I did not look, but i could feel Benedicts stares. I didn't want any tension for Daphne and Simon so i made a plan to speak to Benedict after the wedding.

The ceremony was delightful. We then made our way to the after party. The party was filled with mountains of food, gorgeous flowers and nearly everyone in the ton. I searched for Benedict everywhere but could not find him.

I did however spot Henry Brooke's. When he spotted me, i saw his face light up "Miss Bennet..." he said doing an awkward bow. "Mr Brookes" i said coldly. "Miss Bennet i-" he began.

"Let me guess Mr Brooke's, you want to apologise for being so forward with me? Or do you wish to apologise for taking such improper liberties with me without my consent? Trust me, i've heard it all."

"Miss Bennet... I wanted to tell you that i will stay away from you from now on. I realise my wrong doings and i know you deserve better then that. I also know you have feelings for Benedict Bridgerton" he said. This took me off guard.

"What?" i asked in shock. "I saw your drawing of him in your drawing book" he muttered. I tried to keep a straight face but it was obvious i was anxious. "Please Miss Bennet, do not worry. I am happy for you. You are quite a remarkable woman and i don't think i'll ever meet someone as unique as you again. I just want you to know, i did truly have feelings for you. But, i only wish for you to be happy."

"Thank you, Mr Brooke's. Truly that means so much" i said in relief. Henry kissed my hand and lingered for a moment before taking his leave. It was at that moment it hit me. Emma had given me her blessing, Henry Brooke's had finally left me alone and Lady Danbury can not be angry with me as long as Emma has allowed me to be with Benedict.

I saw Daphne and ran over to her. "Daphne, i have enjoyed your wedding so much and the party was delightful. But i'm afraid i have to take my leave" i said with enthusiasm. Daphne could see my eagerness to leave and smiled. "Of course, Miss Bennet" she said with a small bow.

As i ran to leave i heard Daphne call my name.
"Juliet!" she called out. I turned around swiftly. "Good luck" she said with a bright smile. I smiled back and continued to run.

Since Benedict was not at his own sisters wedding party i was presumed he was at Henry Granville's art party.

I ran all the way from the party to Henry's house. When i finally got there, i was panting as i knocked on the door. Henry Granville opened the door, shocked to see me.

"Miss Bennet, what a lovely suprise! Are you, are you well?" he asked seeing me out of breathe. "Quite, may i come in" i said through pants. He gestured for me to come inside as i ran past him.

When i got in there, the party was full of people. It was something i have never seen before. There was people kissing all around and not just men and women, men with men and women with women.

I really couldn't have cared less what anyone else was doing, all my mind could focus on was finding Benedict. I looked in each room and could not find him. I finally got to the end of the hall to the last room. I quickly fixed my hair and straightened my dress before i got inside. When i opened the door, i saw Benedict sitting on the couch and my face lit up.

Slowly, my expression faded. I saw Benedict on the couch kissing some other woman. I stood there for a moment in utter shock. When he finally realised who was there, i saw the woman that he was kissing to be Alice Carter.

"Juliet-" Benedict said stunned to see me. I could feel myself tearing up and i did not want Alice to have the satisfaction of getting to me, so i left quickly. "Juliet wait" i heard Benedict call out. I pushed passed everyone to get outside.

When i got outside, i felt my breath slowly stop. It was happening again. My hand reached for my throat as i tried to calm myself. "Juliet!...Juleit?" Benedict said as he made his way outside seeing my in my state.

He lingered for a moment before putting his hand on my shoulder. "Do not touch me!" i shouted standing up and pushing him away from me. I looked at him for a moment and the image of him with Alice kept replaying in my head.

"How could you?" i shouted as i punched his chest. "How could i? Are you forgetting the part where i caught you with Henry Brooke's? You are not as innocent as you are pretending to be!" he shouted back at me.

I scoffed. "If you had bothered listening to me when i tried to speak with you yesterday you would know that Henry Brooke's kissed me! I pushed him off as quickly as i could. If you don't believe me i'm sure he'd be more than happy to tell you what happened" i said sternly.

I could see his heart sink when he realised what he had done. "Juliet, i am so sorry" he said regretfully. "Don't bother, i used to see you as someone who would never hurt me, Someone who... Someone who loved me" i said trying to hold back my tears but it was no use. "I wish to never see you again."

"Juliet please" Benedict said with a whimper reaching out to pull me back. "No, do not follow me. I can't believe i let you.... I hope you and Miss Carter are very happy together" i said through tears.

As i walked away, i realised Emma was right this whole time. Never trust a man, especially a Bridgerton.