Chpt 21: The Opera

I slept in Beths bed as it was the first night we arrived and there was a storm. Beth always slept in my bed when there was a storm ever since she was little. To be completely honest, the storm wasn't the reason i wanted to sleep in her bed.

The whole night i just lay awake, watching her breathe. Every time her chest went still my heart stopped, but then she'd take a breath in and i'd take a sigh of relief.

The next morning, I got out of Beths bed after not sleeping a wink. As i walked downstairs, i saw Simon standing at the bottom of the staircase. "Simon? Your back!" i said running to embrace him. "I am, for the moment anyways" he said.

"How is Daphne?" i asked. Simon looked at the floor. "What's wrong?" i asked. "Miss Bridgerton is well, she's with her family due to the scandal with her brother" he said still looking at the floor.

I knew something had happened due to the fact he had called her "Miss Bridgerton" even though they were now married. But i did not want to pry so i didn't question it.

"How is your sister?" he asked wanting to change the conversation. "Lady Danbury mentioned she was ill, has she gotten any better?". "She is fine, she's upstairs resting" i said faking a smile. "But has she gotten any better?" he asked again. I knew that Beth had actually gotten worse but i did not want to admit it.

"She's feeling good, that's all that matters" i said not answering the question. He gave me a sympathetic look and held my hand. Overtime Simon has become some sort of a brother to me. I appreciate him for sticking by me through all the lies and messiness that this season has brought.

"Will you and Daphne be staying here?" i asked. "No actually, i just wanted to check in on you and your sister. I was on the way to set up Hastings house. Should i be seeing you at the opera tonight" he asked. "Oh i don't think so, i should really stay here with Beth" i said.

Simon nodded and said his goodbyes. I decided to make tea for Beth and bring her some breakfast. "Good morning" i said softly waking Beth up. "Morning" Beth replied groggily.

I handed Beth her breakfast and she took a sip of tea. Beth quickly spat it out and made a face of disgust. "God, what maid made that tea? Its absolutely horrid" she said. I looked at her with an offended look and the dots connected in her head.

"Excuse me?" i said. "God, i'm sorry Juliet but i must ask you, never ever make tea again" she said. "Well, if you must know Benedict happens to love my tea whenever i make it" i said. "Well then he must really love you because that disgusting" she said with laughter.

I was taken back by her comment. Beth saw my reaction and realised what she had said. "Oh, Juliet i apologise. I thought he was the man Emma was talking about" she said. "No, no Beth it's fine it's just... Benedict and i have not said those words that's all" i said awkwardly.

Beth gave me a teasing look. "We'll i like him. If you are to marry anyone i will only accept him" she said. I chuckled. "I'm serious Juliet. You always seem to be yourself around him. And, i can tell he loves you" she said. I shook me head.

"Well i don't know about that last part Beth" i said with a fake laugh. "What?" she said in concern. "Nothing" i said shaking my head.

"Would you like to sneak into the kitchen tonight and search for sweets? I believe Lady Danbury is attending the opera and the maids will be home" i said. "Your not going?" she asked.

"No, i'd rather be here with you" i said. Beth looked down at her hands fidgeting. "Juliet, i don't want your whole life to change just because i am ill. You have to go. Plus, you'll be with Benedict" she said. "You really do like him huh?" i said with a chuckle.