Chpt 28: The Cressida Curse

The morning after the ball, i was woken up by Edwina singing and scurrying around the house, Kate running around after Newton and Lady Mary trying to calm her girls.

I put the pillow over my head and tried to block out all the noise. As i tried to go back to sleep, i heard a knock at my door. I groaned trying to tell them to go away. "So i see you have been woken up as well?" i heard Lady Danbury say coming into my room.

I threw the pillow off my head and sat myself up. "It's certainly more chaotic then it was when it was just me and you, huh?" Lady Danbury said as she sat on the edge of my bed. "It certainly is" i said with a light laugh.

"Miss Bennet, Lady Mary informed me about your "disagreement" with Mr Bridgerton last night... Are you ready for the ball this evening?" Lady Danbury asked.

"Lady Danbury, with all due respect, it would take a lot more than Benedict Bridgerton to get a rise out of me" i said sarcastically. "Really? What about the time-" Lady Danbury began. "Don't!" i exclaimed cutting her off quickly.

Lady Danbury chuckled and we made our way downstairs. "Good morning!" Edwina exclaimed. "Morning" i said stretching my arms. We all sat down at the long dining table and ate our breakfast.

When i first heard about the Sharma's arrival, i thought that it might be awkward or maybe uncomfortable living together. But all they have done since i arrived, is try to make me feel comfortable. I am growing very fond of them.

"Did anyone catch your eye at the ball yesterday, Miss Edwina?" Lady Danbury asked. "I danced with a few kind men last night but no ones caught my eye yet" Edwina replied.

"How about you Miss Bennet?" Lady Danbury questioned. "Well... No one tonight" i said with an awkward chuckle. Lady Danbury raised her eyebrows in judgment.

"Oh yes that reminds me, there was a man asking for you last night Juliet" Kate said as she ate her breakfast. I felt my heart drop. "Who was asking for me?" i asked quizzically.

I don't know why my heart raced when i heard Benedict was speaking about me. I was angry with him. Furious even. But i was just... Curious.

"Let me think... I think his name was Henry Brooke's?" Kate said. My smile slowly faded. "Oh... Harry Brookes?" i questioned. "Yes! He was nice. The only decent man at the ball last night" Kate added on.

"Oh yes, i always liked that boy. Why did he suddenly stop calling around?" Lady Danbury asked. "I... Have no idea" i said trying to hide my smirk.

Later that night, Edwina, Kate and i all helped each other get ready. And when i say helped each other, i mean Edwina helped me while Kate sat in the corner with her book.

When we all arrived to the ball, i couldn't help but notice everyone's anxiety over who would be the next "diamond of the season". As we made our way into the crowd, Lady Danbury guided us all over to the queen.

We all bowed and the queen smiled. I felt a wave of relief come over me once i saw her smile. "I do hope you are finding everything in town to your satisfaction, Lady Mary" the queen said.

"Indeed i am, Your Majesty" Lady Mary replied. "And Miss Bennet! I see you have wandered back here again" the queen said in a snarky tone. "I have your Majesty. I had to leave last season due to... Unfortunate circumstances" i said politely.

The queen chuckled mockingly. "I bet it was unfortunate. But i do hope you will be able to stick it out this season... Though i doubt it" the queen said with a chuckle. I looked down at the floor trying to keep a straight face.

"Perhaps your mother would like some refreshments Miss Sharma. And bring Miss Bennet with you" Lady Danbury said trying to urge us to leave.

As we all walked away, I wondered what the queen meant by "I bet it was unfortunate". I was lost in thought until Kate grabbed my arm lightly. "Are you alright?" Kate asked. "I'm fine, truly" i said with a fake smile as i walked away.