Chpt 13: Reunions

Anthony stared me down with a hint of rage in his eyes. "Miss Benent" he said greeting me. "What is going on?" i asked. I already had a feeling i knew what they were going to say but i had to ask. "We know everything" Lady Danbury said coldly. "And what do you mean by everything?" i questioned looking to the ground.

"I know you've been lying to me, Miss Bennet. And I know why you hated me so when we first met" Anthony said standing up walking towards me. "You're sister is Emma, am i correct? Emma Bennet? Lady Danbury's maid? The one who apparently was carrying my baby!."

I took serval steps back. Anthony saw i was frightened putting his head in his hands. "We must control ourselves, Mr Bridgerton. This is not Miss Bennet's fault, it is mine. I am her sponsor and i am to blame for all the lies being told here" Lady Danbury said walking in front of me.

"Miss Bennet has been nothing but a delight since she's got here. She's brightened up every dull ball with her presence, certainly kept our lives entertaining and is doing all of this for her family. She never wanted to lie to all of these people but she had to for the ones she cares
about" Lady Danbury shouted.

The room went silent. I stared at Lady Danbury in awe. No one had ever stood up for me like that, let alone to a viscount. "I... I apologise Miss Bennet, i am just...Confused to say the least" Anthony uttered. "How did you find out?" i asked looking to Beth. "I didn't say anything Juliet, i swear it!"

"I wrote to Lady Danbury" i heard a voice say. We all turned to see who was speaking. Emma was standing at the door in her best dress. Anthony looked at her, stunned. "Emma" i muttered fighting back tears.

It had almost been three months since i had seen her. "Hello, my love" she said pulling me into an embrace and kissing my head. "Miss Bennet" Lady Danbury said with a small nod. "I'm glad you decided to join us."

Emma looked at Anthony. "Mr Bridgerton" she spat with spite. "Emma... Miss Bennet, i must apologise i- " Anthony started to say but could not find the words.
"No, Mr Bridgerton, no apology necessary. You never even knew about-" Emma started but she could not find the words either.

"You must know, if i had known i would have been there for you. Truly" Anthony stared sounding desperate. I had never seen a man so remorseful.

"I do think there is a lot of emotions and opinions in this room at the minute. We should start with one thing at a time" Lady Danbury suggested. She gestured us all to sit down. The three sisters on one sofa and the viscount Bridgerton on the other.

Lady Danbury explained our whole scheme to Anthony and why we did it in the first place. "So, you have been fooling the ton all of this time?" he questioned. I nodded my head, shame overcoming me.

"Does Simon know?" he asked. "Only the people in this room and Simon know, yes" i said sheepishly. "And my brother?" he questioned. I stayed quiet.

"Now Mr Bridgerton, we would appreciate it if you kept our secret to yourself so Juliet will be able to find a husband and support her family" Lady Danbury said sternly. "And not to worry, the girl will have a dowery from me so no man will be failed with this plot."

Anthony looked conflicted for a moment. "Please, Anthony" Emma pleaded. He looked at her for a moment, and his answer was clear. "Fine. I give you my word. No one will hear anything from me" Anthony spoke before standing up from his seat. "Thank you Mr Bridgerton, Truly" i said gratefully.

He gave us all a bow walking towards the door but swiftly turned back around. "Emma, may i have a word in private?" he asked. Emma nodded and took a deep breath in as she walked outside with him.

I could not hear what they were saying as they made sure that they were far enough away from everyone. The only thing i could work out was Anthony saying something around the lines of "You deserved better than i."

And when Emma returned to us, she looked pleased. Relieved almost as if a burden had been lifted from her. I was sure this wasn't the last time Anthony and Emma would be seeing each other. But hopefully it would be the last time for apologies.

I saw Anthony getting into his carriage before i ran after him. "Mr Bridgerton, wait! i called out. The carriage stopped and Anthony opened the door. "Oh god, what now?" he asked tiredly. "I was wondering, i know you and your family are very close but... Would you mind, not telling them about all of this please?" i asked nervously.

Anthony laughed. "Don't worry, i won't tell Daphne if that's what your worried about. Even though i'm sure she would not care" he said about to shut the door. I stopped the door with my hand. "No!" i shouted. Anthony was taken back my reaction. "I mean, could you not tell, anyone, in your family please?" i pleaded desperately.

"Juliet, i gave you my word, i always keep my word" Anthony said with a smile. I nodded my head and he shut the carriage door.

I headed back into the house. Emma, Beth and Lady Danbury all seemed to be taunting Simon about courting Daphne and i could see him getting visibly uncomfortable.

"Miss Bennet, please save me from your ghastly sisters" Simon pleaded playfully. "I've been saying that my whole life" i teased.

Emma elbowed me playfully. "Now, i had to send all the maids home for today as Miss Emma here would be recognised so, do any of you know how to cook?" Lady Danbury asked enthusiastically.

"I will Lady Danbury, it's the least i could do" said Emma. We were all making our way to the kitchen when Emma pulled me back.

"Juliet, we must speak" Emma said still holding my arm. "I am already aware or your plan, Emma. Beth told me you sent her here to spy on me, you know she can't keep secrets" i said. "I know you but... I don't know how i feel about you spending all this time with Benedict Bridgerton. That's why i'm here."

"Well then, you should meet him. You would certainly change your mind if you did" i said unfazed. She quickly realised i was keen on this.
"Please?" i asked.

Emma rolled her eyes. "Fine, i'll meet him. But that doesn't mean i'll like him" she whispered. "Thank you, thank you, thank you!" i said pulling her into an embrace. "Well come on then, i thought i had a few days off but here i am, cooking for Lady Danbury once again" Emma jested as we laughed.

A couple of hours passed, and we were all still stuffed after the feast Emma's made for us. We all sat around a small lunch table that is used by the maids. We were all swapping story's and laughing. Beth even made Simon hold her cat for a moment, which he hated.

The beast hissed the minute she was placed in his arms which made us laugh more. It was nice to see Simon actually enjoying himself. I haven't heard true laughter from him in some time, unless he was with Daphne.

"Alright, i believe it's my time to retire" Lady Danbury stated struggling to get out of her chair. "I'll walk you up, Lady Danbury" i said putting her arm in mine.

Everyone said their goodnights to Lady Danbury and i helped her up the staircase upstairs. "I wanted to say thank you for standing up for me today, Lady Danbury" i said truthfully. "Oh i didn't stand up for you dear, i just wanted to talk some sense into that Anthony Bridgerton" Lady Danbury jested.

I laughed and looked at the floor with a slight disheartened look on my face. "I'm kidding my dear, you know i have grown quite fond of you over the time you have spent here" Lady Danbury spoke with a smirk. "I have also grown quite fond of you Lady Danbury. Though i must admit, my heart stops when i hear your cane coming."

He scrunched up her face playfully. "Now, go to sleep. And, no sneaking out this time" she said giving me a glare. My smile faded immediately. "I have no idea what you are talking about" i lied.

"Hmm, do you really think i don't know what goes on in my own house?" she asked. I shook my head with fright. Lady Danbury gave me a stern look, but she couldn't hide her smile as she shut her bedroom door.