Chpt 24: Suprises Of All Sorts

When i came up the drive way, the farm seemed emptier than ever. I grabbed my bags and thanked the driver. I walked through the door and saw Emma sitting at the table, biting her fingernails. "Emma?" i said trying to snap her out of her daydream.

Emma turned swiftly around to face me. "Juliet" she said in a shaky voice running to embrace me. I dropped my bags and hugged her tightly. We stayed in that embrace for a while.

When Emma finally let go, she grabbed my shoulders and gave me a small sad laugh. "So, you ready?" she asked in a quiet voice. I nodded my head slowly.

It was only two of us and the priest at the funeral. I know that's what Beth would have wanted. Just her family.

As the priest blessed the casket and left, Emma and i stood there, arm in arm saying our final goodbyes. I don't know how long we were there, but by the time we walked back to the house, it was dark.

Emma made us both tea as we sat at the table swapping story's about Beth. It was a bittersweet talk. "And Rosie sill keeps attacking me" Emma said with a laugh.

"Jesus, i almost forgot about that stupid cat" i said. "I don't know what we're going to do with her now, we can't kick her out of the house, that would be cruel right?" she said jokingly.

I shrugged my shoulders playfully. "Well, we could just lock her in Beths room and feed her twice a day" i said sarcastically. Emma and i gave out a loud laugh.

When we stopped laughing, we both went silent looking at Beths empty chair. "Things won't be the same now she's gone, will it?" Emma said choking up.

"No, it won't. And i'm sick of everyone saying that this wound will heal and we'll be better with time because that is not true. But, we have eachother okay?" i said taking Emma's hand trying to stay strong. "Who died?" we heard a voice say. Both of our faces dropped as we saw who was talking.

Mother was standing at the bottom of the stairs with a confused look on her face. Emma and i were so shocked, neither of us could speak. "Where's Beth? I finished the book she gave me" she said looking around.

I looked at Emma who was getting more upset by the second. I stood up out of my chair. "Has your Father gone hunting?" she asked.  "Mama... Beth- Beth and Father passed away" i said. "No they haven't, i saw them both this morning" she said with a small chuckle.

"Mama... No, you didn't. They're gone" i said. Mama looked more and more confused. After all this time, i thought i would be angry at Mama if she ever spoke to me again.

I don't know what had changed, and i don't know why she's acting like everything's normal. But, i made a promise to myself that i would be strong for my sisters. And i know Beth would have wanted me to be kind to her.

"Come on Mama, let's get you back to bed and i'll send Beth up when she's home okay?" i said guiding her up the stairs. I gave Emma a glance and she stayed seated at the table still astounded.

As i got Mama tucked into bed, i saw she finally did read one of the books Beth had left beside her bed. "Now, just get some rest Mama" i said as i was walking out the door. "Thank you baby. I love you" she said as she fell back asleep.

I stood at the door trying to hold in my tears. "I love you too Mama" i said with a sad smile. Now, i don't know if she would ever get up like that again, or if she'll read another book or if she'll ever say those three words again.

But in my head, i liked to think of it as i sign from Beth. Maybe she was trying to tell us that she was still here and that she'll always still be here. Or maybe Mama had simply just gone mad and had a sudden rush of adrenaline.

I walked down the stairs and Emma and i talked about what could have happened to make her do that. As it was getting late, Emma made her way to bed. She kissed the top of my head and said goodnight.

I wasn't tired at all that night. I decided to distract myself by unpacking my bag. Lady Danbury let me keep the fancy dresses she bought for me as a goodbye present.

As i was unpacking, i suddenly felt a piece of paper at the bottom of my bag. I was confused as i didn't remember packing any letters or drawings.

I unfolded the paper and saw it was the drawing that Benedict had drawn of me when we first met. I smiled as all the memories of that night came back. I turned the paper around to see writing at the back.

"Dear Juliet, i remember one night you told me you only painted things that wanted to be painted. When you told me that, that's when i knew, you were the person i wanted to paint forevermore. You are my painting. You are my canvas. You are my person."

I chuckled sadly at the sight. I took the drawing and placed it next to my bed. As i laid down in bed, i stared at the ceiling thinking about everything that has happened this season.

I couldn't believe it was all over. I do wish things had gone differently. I tried to think of ways i could have avoided the inevitable.

I thought about all the wonderful people i had met, and i wondered if i would ever see them again.

Well, i guess that still remains to be seen.