Chpt 25: Deja Vu

It's been nearly a year since the social season ended. A lot has changed since then, so i'll get you up to speed.

Unfortunately, after Beth passed, my mama passed shortly after. The doctor said it was natural causes but Emma and i are convinced she passed from heartbreak.

I know i should have been more upset but she wasn't like a proper mother, Emma was more of a mama to me than she ever was.

Emma and i have been struggling more and more with money. I feel terrible that i didn't marry when i had the chance but Emma always tries to reassure me that she wants me to meet the right person.

A few people have written to me over the past year. Lady Danbury writes every month to check up on us. I miss her dearly everyday. Simon also kept his promise and writes to me as much as he can.

Since i saw him last, he has had a child and him and Daphne are as happy as ever. Im beyond happy for him but i have to say, i never expected the Duke of Hastings to be married let alone have kin.

Surprisingly enough, Alice Carter is the person who writes to me the most. She keeps me updated on all the scandal in the ton and who's dating who. She has honestly become one of my greatest friends.

I also received a letter from Harry Brooke's. In his letter, he wrote about how sorry he was about Beth, asking me how i was, if i needed anything etc. I don't hold any grudges against the man. He has shown how sorry he is time and time again.

But, the only person i wanted to write to me... Hasn't. All year, i've been waiting for just one letter, just one. But, nothing.

Benedict has made it clear, he does not want to speak to me. It would be a lie to say i did not care. I think i cared too much. I know i must have hurt him when i left, but i thought out of everyone, he would understand.

"Juliet! Are you joking?!" Emma screamed as i jolted up from my bed. "Jesus Emma, what?" i said putting the pillow over my head. "I called you for breakfast half an hour ago?! I have to go for work, i need you to clean the house and feed the animals now!" she shouted.

I moaned and groaned as i heaved myself out of bed. "Fine" i mumbled walking down the stairs. I ate my breakfast as Emma kissed my head and flew out the door.

When Emma left, i sat in silence. I know it's been a year, but i still sometimes forget that Beth isn't around. I hate the silence. It makes my ears burn.

I did all my chores and started the dinner before Emma arrived home. My apron was covered in dirt, my hair was in a messy bun and i had cinder smeared on my face from starting the fire.

I set the table and and went to the bathroom to wash my hands. "Juliet!" i heard Emma shout as i heard her walk in the door. "Two minutes" i said as i washed my hands.

As i walked into the kitchen, i walked straight over to the table and stuffed the bread into my mouth. Emma coughed. "Em, Juliet?" she said. I ignored her and continued to scoff down my dinner. "Juliet!" Emma said louder. I rolled my eyes and turned around.

My eyes widened as i saw Lady Danbury standing there with a cocky smile on her face. "Oh my god!" i said running over to embrace her. "Oh hello my dear" Lady Danbury said. "Well, i'm getting deja vu" Lady Danbury said as we all chuckled.

"What are you doing here?" i said in excitement. "Well, i wanted to tell you i'm taking in two new sponsors this season" Lady Danbury said trialing her fingers on the bookcase. "Oh wow, who?" i asked.

"The Sharmas. Nice family. Bad history" she said. I nodded my head. "So... You came here to tell me your bringing in new sponsors?" i said with a confused smile. "You know, taking in more than one sponsor is already a huge risk. The ton scolds you if your sponsor is not married, so with two!... It's double the challenge" she said.

I looked at Emma to see if she knew what was going on. Emma shrugged her shoulders. "Well... I'm sure if anyone could do it, it would be you Lady Danbury" i said with a half smile.

Lady Danbury turned around swiftly. "Exactly" she said pointing at me. "I do like a risk. So i was thinking of, one upping myself" she said staring at me. "What?" i asked. "What if, i shocked the whole ton by bringing in, three sponsors and try to have them all married off by the end of the season!" she said with a smirk.

My mouth fell open. "Lady Danbury... I'm sure you'll have your hands full with two ladies living in your house" i said. "Nonsense. Though i'm sure the Sharma sisters will be delightful company... I happened to miss you this year Miss Bennet. And, i would like you to find your match. Plus, i never back down from a challenge " she said.

I gave Lady Danbury a small, soft smile but i was unsure. "What do you think?" i said facing Emma. "I think... I think you should go for it" she said with a smile. "I'm sure the ton understands why you had to cut your stay short last year" said Lady Danbury.

I looked down, fiddling with my fingers. "If i go, no more games, no more "will they, won't they". I'll find someone, I'll settle down with them, they'll be nice and i'll buy a better house for Emma" i said sternly. Lady Danbury looked impressed as she nodded her head.

"Understood" Lady Danbury said with a cheeky smile. I grabbed Emma's hand. "So, when do we leave?" i asked.

"Well, right now" Lady Danbury replied.

Authors note:
-I'll try publish a longer chapter tomorrow as this was just the opening!!