Chpt 7: The Drawing

It was now the morning after the ball. The maids were busy tidying up everyone's mess whilst i painted in the drawing room accompanied by Lady Danbury. The longer i lived with the woman, the more fascinating she became.

She was a widow you see, free to do as she pleases now. She was strewn across the sofa, smoking a cigarette whilst reading a sheet of some sort. One day, i wish i could be just as free as her.

"What is that?" i asked curiously. "It's a new writer in town. She's writing all kinds of gossip. Your in here too believe it or not" she said. "What!" i exclaimed with excitement. Lady Danbury handed me the piece of parchment as i scanned looking to find my name.

"Lady Danbury's new candidate for this years social season has arrived making her presence known. Juliet Bennet has made quite a positive impression on the ton, well, that was until her unfortunate mishandling of her drink. Parched i presume? If the queen makes her the new diamond, i sure hope she can maintain herself."

"Who is this writer?" i asked trying to sound un peeved. "Lady Whistledown. No one knows who she is, and i doubt she will ever make herself known. Don't worry dear, i'm sure all this gossip newsletter will die down eventually" she said. How could someone write this?

I was befuddled. How could another woman write something to tear down another? For satisfaction? Jealousy?Was it to get herself ahead of everyone? Or maybe it was simply just to make a fool out of people.

I decided to read the whole scandal sheet when i came upon the two names of the girls i was less than fond of. One was called Cressida Cowper and the other was called Alice Carter. As i recalled, Alice Carter was the one who made me spill my drink on my dress.

But, she was also scolded in Lady Whistledown for having "vulgar dresses." I know it's horrible to say, but a smile tugged at my lips as i read it. I suppose this was why Lady Whistledown writes. Because in some strange way, it gives us satisfaction to hear the shameful stories of others.

"Also, we are to attend an event this evening. Her majesty the queen will be there" Lady Danbury spoke snapping me out of thoughts. "What is the event?" i asked. "Wear your finest dress my dear, we're going to the opera!"

We arrived to the opera in Lady Danbury's finest carriage. I was in a cream dress with silver lace. This dress was my favourite as it was most comfortable. When we got there, Lady Danbury socialised with many. She could speak with ease and had no shame.

It was clear people respected her so i was just happy be by her side. It wasn't long after when we were beckoned by the Queen herself.

"Your majesty" we both said simultaneously as we both bowed. "I see you were also taken down by Lady Whistledowns viscous attacks" the queen stated. I was taken back by such an upfront comment first thing. "She was, but, so was everyone else i've heard" Lady Danbury said knowing i would not know what to say. "Lady Bridgerton, do join us!" Lady Danbury called out.

The two Bridgertons strolled over hastily. The two women bowed and addressed the queen. "You must remember my daughter Daphne" said Lady Bridgerton. "Yes, she made quite an impression. However fleeting it may be" the queen said snickering to her associates.

The queen then walked away and i could see Daphnes heart sink. "I would like to welcome you both to my box this evening. I insist" Lady Danbury said trying to comfort them. I gave them both a reassuring smile and we walked towards our box.

I was sitting next to Daphne talking about Lady Whistledown. The woman was quite wonderful to talk to and was quite humorous. I couldn't hear Lady Danbury and Lady Bridgertons conversation, but they looked as if they were up to mischief.

I had never been to the opera and to say i enjoyed it would be a lie. I much prefer the songs Beth and i make up and force Emma to listen to. "So is your mother living with you at Lady Danburys house estate?" Daphne questioned. This question took me of guard but i kept calm and remembered my cover story. "My mother is ill at the moment so it's just me living there."

"Oh i am so sorry. Do your family ever come to visit?" she asked. "Well, my father passed when i was young and my sisters are yet to visit" i said. "Well, when they do, i would sure hope to meet them" she said with a smile. I was quite sure that me and Daphne would become quite close.

The following day, I was getting ready to go for dinner at the Bridgertons with Simon. I was very uneasy at the thought i would have to eat at the same table as Anthony but Lady Danbury made it clear that i had to go.

When we arrived i was greeted by Lady Bridgerton and her youngest child Hyacinth. "Welcome, welcome" the woman exclaimed excitedly. She ushered us both inside quickly, taking Simons hats and my over coat.

As i walked in, i admired all the painting they had hanging in their massive hall. They obviously had a painter in the family. I was looking up trying to see the high paintings when i suddenly crashed into someone. "My apologies" i said meeting their eye. I stood in shock realising who it was.

It was Benedict.

"What are you doing here?" i questioned. "You mean what am i doing in my own house?" he said with a wide grin. My heart sank as i frowned. The only man i even considered to be pleasant was a Bridgerton. In other words, the people Emma had warned me not to associate with. When Benedict saw my frown he became concerned quickly. "Are you quite alright? Do you need to sit down?" he asked worriedly.

"I-" i started speak but could not get the words out. This always happens when i get overwhelmed. It feels as if i can not catch my breath, my heart starts pounding and i start to sweat profusely. I then usually cry which i always hated, especially when i am in front of people. Everyone had already gone into the dining area so it was only me and Benedict in the hall. He gently grabbed my hand and guided me into a room.

He sat me down on the couch and grabbed a water and a fan from the desk. He then beside me and handed the items to me. I grabbed the water and threw the fan away. Benedict was obviously confused and didn't know how to help. I really just wanted to be able to control my mind, i could tell i was embarrassing myself. Benedict seeing that i was embarrassed quickly got up and grabbed his drawing book from the shelf.

"How about you judge my drawings for yourself. Tell me your critiques" he said with a soft smile. I took the book from him with shakey hands and opened it to see a drawing of a woman with a bun and a huge smile. I quickly realised that the woman in the picture looked like me. I gave a small laugh. Somehow he had taken all the things i hate about myself and made them into this beautiful drawing.

Without even realising it, my breathing slowly started to go back to normal. I stared at the painting and then looked up at him. "You know, you made my nose a little too big" i teased with a smile. "And who said this painting was of you?" he replied cockily. I rolled my eyes, realising my breathing had completely gone back to normal.

There was silence for a little while but not the awkward kind. "Thank you" i mumbled. "Anytime" he said. "Now, i do believe there is a gooseberry pie waiting for us." He put out his hand and without hesitation, i took his hand in mine.

[Authors note]
-Alice Carter is my own character that i have made up and she'll be a big part of the story.
-I have fancasted her as anya taylor-joy <33