Chpt 6: The Artist

As time went on, more and more people began arriving to the ball. Lady Danbury introduced me to all the new people and i even got a few dances. All the men i danced with were either old, arrogant or wanted to marry someone who was a clone of their mamas. I know i would most likely not be marrying for love, but i could at least try get someone tolerable.

I was standing near the food table when i spotted Simon and a woman getting into what looked like a heated argument. I realised the woman he was arguing with was the gorgeous woman who was kissed by the queen. "Accosting you?" i heard the woman say from across the room. She seemed offended by something he had said.

I know Lady Danbury wanted everything to go well this evening, so i decided to go and try and compose them. "Hello again" i said in a gentle voice. "I don't believe we've been properly introduced. I'm miss Juliet Bennet, and you?"

The woman was trying not to let her anger caused by Simon take control of her. "I'm Daphne Bridgerton, it's lovely to meet your acquaintance" she said with a fake smile. My heart suddenly dropped. That means if she's here... "Basset!" i heard a voice call out from behind me.

It was no other than Anthony Bridgerton. Simon and Anthony embraced. I did not know they even knew each other. The viscount gave me a half smile which meant he did not realise i was Emma's sister. Thank god, that could have been disastrous.

"I heard the news of your father, deuce take it your no longer Basset?" said the viscount. "Hastings, the duke of Hastings now known forever more."

The duke of Hastings is it?" Daphne asked in a smug voice. "Right Hastings, this is my sister" said Anthony. "Your sister?" Anthony questioned looking taken back. "Daphne, Hastings and i know each other from our days at Oxford. Days we shall not soon forget. And, you are?" Anthony asked looking me up and down.

"Juliet, Juliet Bennet" i said. I hoped Emma had never mentioned me in their last conversation or everything could be ruined. "We'll, it's lovely to make your acquaintance, Miss Bennet" he said as he kissing my hand. I have never wanted to punch a man more in my life knowing all the pain he caused my sister. But i kept my composure.

Whilst Anthony was introducing himself to me, i couldn't help but notice Simon and Daphne looking at each other as if they were in a show down. The viscount was unaware of the tension but i felt as if i could cut it with a knife.

"Hastings, we are to get together properly. I expect to see you at our club then" the viscount said. "Indeed. Evening Bridgerton, Miss Bridgerton" Simon replied. I had never seen him so... nervous. He took my arm and marched me away from them both.

I quite like that Daphne was able to stand up to him, not a lot of the ladies would. Nor would most the men of the ton i presume. The two siblings walked away arm in arm. I watched as Simon couldn't take his eyes off the woman and i swore i saw Daphne look back at him as she walked away.

"I was not aware you and the viscount were so close" i said trying to get his attention. "Well yes, he's a good man" he muttered. I found that very hard to believe. I left Simon to his thoughts as i spotted Lady Danbury looking at her many paintings.

She happened to be looking at one of my own. The painting was of a woman on a rope swing and another lady pushing her. I guess i subconsciously had painted a picture of Beth and i from back home. She was standing with a man who's face i could not see as his back was turned. The two looked as if they were examining my art.

I stood next to Lady Danbury without making my presence known. "It's much too cold" the man stated. I was taken back by his negative comment. Lady Danbury looked at him, gesturing to finish his critiques. "Where's any sense of the subjects spirit? And the light! Given the quality i do wonder why the peice is not skied with all the other daubs."

I could tell that the man was not the kind who would say these comments if he knew the artist was standing beside him.

"Perhaps we should ask the artist" Lady Danbury said. I knew what she was up to. "Well that would be something Lady Danbury" he said. "And what would you tell them?" Lady Danbury continued to taunt. The man sighed and shook his head.

"Look them them. Yes, they are smiling but is that it? Where is the emotion? And the setting is much too familiar" he said. I rolled my eyes. Of course the setting would be familiar, it's the only home i've ever known. And yes they were smiling, what else would one do if they were happy?

"Hmm, Miss Bennet why was your peice not skied?" she asked turning to me. I saw the mans face drop once he met my eye. "Miss Bennet i-" he began. "If you will excuse me i must find Simon" i said giving him a nod as i left.

His eyes stayed with me as i continued to find Hastings. "You diabolical, how could you let me rattle on like that?" he exclaimed still shocked from what had just happened. "How could i not my dear Mr Bridgerton... It was righteously funny you must admit!" she teased with a smile before taking her leave.

I could see the man spot me through the crowd whilst i stood idly, Simon nowhere to be found. As i was standing to the side, i grabbed a drink. It was not alcoholic but it was red. Suddenly, i felt a body collide with mine causing me to spill my drink all over my dress. I gasped looking at the mess. "My apologies" a girl said in a mocking tone. It was the thin blonde woman from this morning.

Twice now she has pushed through me as if i was nothing. I looked around to see everyone starring and snickering at the scene. I pushed through the crowd quickly to get the the drawing room. Once i got inside, i grabbed a box of tissues trying to clean away the mess but it was of no use.

"God, could today get any worse" i whispered to myself. I heard a cough from behind me, as if someone was announcing their presence. When i turned, i saw the man who had made all those comments about my art.

"My apologies, i did not realise anyone was in here. I shall leave" i said about to scurry out the door. "No!" the man shouted, but no cruelly. "I mean, stay, if you would like."

I uncomfortably smiled. I knew it was improper of me to stay unchaperoned, but wasn't it Lady Danbury who told me to never be unkind to a man of status?

I sat on the sofa in front of him, folding my arms and refusing to meet his eye. "I believe i owe you an apology Miss" he began. "No truly, it is quite alright. I like to hear critiques on my paintings. That way i can make them better" i said. He smiled softly. He had quite an adorable smile. "I am Benedict" he stated. "Juliet."

"So you like painting too?" i asked. "How did you know?" he quipped back with a smirk. "Well, if your going around critiquing my art i would hope you are a painter yourself. Or perhaps you'd be a fool" i jested.

"Well, i dabble" he noted. I scoffed. "I'll take dabbled." The man had a certain easiness to him. He was unlike the other men i had spoken too. Unafraid of a true yet interesting conversation. We spoke of many things in that hour.

Mostly painting. He told me of all his most favourite artists, though i must admit i did not know many of who he spoke of. But i tried to keep up.

"You know, i really should get going. Lady Danbury told me i should never be alone with a man, it could give people the wrong idea" i said not actually wanting to leave but knowing i had to. "Well yes, but who cares what those other people think" he suggested. I laughed at his typical response.

"You haven't met my sister then. She would think this unacceptable" i muttered. "You have a sister?" he asked. "Two, Beth and Emma. Beth is the younger and Emma is eldest."
"Oh so you are a middle child as well then? It's great being the second born. We have all the fun and less responsibility's" he said. I laughed mockingly. "You'd think so wouldn't you" i said in almost a whisper. If only he knew how untrue that was.

"I really have to get going" i declared getting up. I was about to leave when i turned back. "Thank you for the lovely conversation, i think it's the only time i've genuinely laughed this evening."

I checked if anyone was in the hall before i fled, i heard the man protest but i ignored his pleads. The man would never get the same scolding as the woman would in these situations.

But Benedict was left befuddled. Who was this girl? He knew he had to know her.