Chpt 32: Voices

A couple of hours had passed and we were all sat at the dinner table. It did not take long for the side affects of Colins strange powder to kick in. For some reason, someone thought it was a good idea to put Benedict and i seated next to one another.

"This room is exceptionally well-lit" Benedict said staring at the ceiling. "Have you noticed Jules? The twinkle of the candles, it is as if- We sit amongst the stars" Benedict cried out.

I was laughing so much, that i snorted. "What is wrong with them?" Eloise asked. "I was just telling Benedict how brilliant the stars were in Greece" Colin said with a awkward smile.

There was an awkward silence for a moment but the dinner continued. "Are you enjoying your time here, Miss Edwina?" Daphne asked. "I am very much. The buzz of the city is thrilling indeed, but i quite enjoy the peace of the country" Edwina replied.

"As do i! But i would not know anything about the country as i have never been to the country before, spent my whole life in the city" i said winking at Lady Danbury.

Lady Danbury gave me a stern glare as to tell me to shut up. Edwina and Daphne gave me concerned look.

As Colin was once again talking about his travels, Benedict was making strange noises as he ate his food. He went to grab his wine until it spilled everywhere.

Everyone jumped as the glass fell and rolled their eyes at Benedicts behaviour. He covered his face with his hands as he flashed a wide grin. I let out a loud laugh and slumped in my chair.

"Benedict, dear, you will alarm our guests" Lady Bridgerton said with a fake smile. "Miss Bennet! Sit up straight" Lady Danbury called out. I sat up quickly trying to hold in my laugh.

Kate let out a small chuckle as she saw the scene unfold in front of her. "Perhaps... It is time for a toast" Lady Danbury said tapping her glass. "A good idea. To cheer our guests" Lady Bridgerton said.

"Or to tend to other pressing matters" Lady Danbury added on. I elbowed Benedict in the arm. "You know what that means" i said.

Benedict looked around the room with his mouth full of food. "Wait... What?" he said loudly. Lady Bridgerton hushed us once more as Anthony stood up and cleared his throat.

"My sincere gratitude to the Sharma's for joining us tonight. It has been a pleasure having you here to witness what is now my second annual loss at pall-mall. Not to be repeated, i assure you" Anthony announced. Everyone let out a small chuckle.

"And my special gratitude to Miss Edwina. It has certainly been a privilege getting to truly make your acquaintance these past days" Anthony added on.

Anthony continued his speech whilst Benedict leaned in towards me. "Didn't they meet like... Five minutes ago?" he asked. "I believe it was... Five hours" i replied. Benedict nodded his head and we looked back towards Anthony.

"And speaking of, i believe there is a question i need to ask you" Anthony began. Benedict elbowed me in my arm and pointed at them.

"I should like to, uh... I should like to ask you from please refrain from telling anyone back in London about yesterday's loss. I fear the harm to my reputation would simply be too great" Anthony said with an awkward chuckle.

Benedict looked at me as i my eyes widened. "Ouch" he whispered. "To the pleasant days ahead" Anthony said raising his glass. Everyone raised their glass and continued to eat their dinner in silence.

Later on, i was flicking through Benedicts drawing book as he was anxiously trying to paint. "Are you both still up?" Colin said entering the room. "Ugh. You may wish to bathe before you see mother in the morning" Colin said looked at Benedicts state.

"It's magical, brother" Benedict exclaimed grabbing Colin and kissing him on the forehead. "You were right! I've allowed my doubts to plague me for too long, The Royal Academy School are not arbiters of taste. The world is!" he said while holding Colin in an embrace.

"You are a fatwit" Colin said with a scoff. "How about Bennet, are you alright?" he asked as i laid across the sofa. I put my thumbs up as an answer. "Benedict, something has apparently arrived for you. A letter from london" Eloise said walking into the room.

I got up and ran over to see what the letter said. Benedict tore open the letter and read it quickly. "I have a place. The Royal Schools have accepted me as a student.... I got in!" Benedict shouted jumping up and down.

I put my hands up and cheered. Benedict picked me up and spun around in excitement. "I thought they were not the arbiters of taste?" Colin said in amusement. "They must see great promise in my work" Benedict said throwing the letter on the ground.

He ran over to the window and pushed it open. "You shall all bear witness to my talents!" he shouted. "Shh! It's the middle of the night!" Colin said as Benedict slumped himself on the window seat.

"I shall take my leave... To my room..." i said trying to stand straight. "Seriously, what is wrong with them?" Eloise asked. Colin just sighed and rolled his eyes. "Bon voyage" i said leaving the room.

As i made my way through the empty halls, i looked at all the huge paintings. Everything seemed to be more colourful. I suddenly heard small footsteps behind me.

I turned around swiftly to see no one there. I turned back around and walked to my room. "Juliet" i heard a voice say. I turned around once more to see no one there. "Juliet" the voice repeated.

The voice sounded so familiar but i could not place who it was. I walked faster and faster trying to escape the voice but it was getting louder and louder.

I got to the end of the hall and the voice had gotten so loud my ears were ringing. I curled up in the corner and put my hands over my ears. "Stop, stop, stop" i mumbled to myself.

"You left me... You left me alone to die" i voice said angrily. I lifted my head up quickly and looked around. I knew who that voice was now... It was Beths. "Beth?" i whispered.

Suddenly, Lady Danbury came out of her room to see what all the noise was about. "Miss Bennet, what an earth are you doing?" she asked. I was on the floor with tears streaming down my face. "Miss Bennet?" Lady Danbury repeated.

I stood up and pulled Lady Danbury into a tight embrace. "What's happened?!" Lady Danbury exclaimed. I did not answer, i just simply sobbed into her shoulder.

That night, Lady Danbury sat next to my bed as i tried to sleep. She did not know what happened but she knew i was frightened.

I do not understand what happened, but i'm guessing it had something to do with the powder Colin gave me. I tossed and turned all night trying to sleep. All that kept running through me head was what i heard the voice say.

"You left me alone to die"