Chpt 30: The Races

A few days had passed since i found out Lady Danbury was the one who stole the letters Benedict wrote to me. It had also been two days since we have spoken to one another. Though we do try to not let the Sharmas feel uncomfortable, i'm sure that they feel the tension.

During this time, many suitors have come to see Edwina. It seems as if everyone in the ton wants her. I mean, can you blame them?

But Kate is not having it. It is quite amusing to see the suitors try to charm Edwina while Kate is in the room.

She will not settle for anything less than perfect for her sister. Kate has also made it clear she is very much against Edwina being with Anthony. I have no idea why Kate dislikes Anthony so much but i also did not question it, everyone knows what he can be like.

Today we our on our way to the races. I have never been to a race before but i've been told it's quite exciting. When we arrived, Edwina met up with one of her suitors who escorted her around the race tracks.

I looked around trying to spot any familiar faces but it was too crowded. Edwina and her suitor swapped conversation while Kate and i walked beside them.

While we were walking, a man asked Kate to escort him to their seats, leaving me alone. I walked around looking at everyone in awe. Though i had been to many balls, everyone seemed to be dressed brightly, with top hats, umbrellas and the most gorgeous jewellery.

"Would you like some company?" i heard a voice say. I looked behind me to see Alice with a apologetic look. "Hello Miss Carter" i said not making eye contact with her. "Please don't call me that" Alice said looking uncomfortably at the ground.

"What would you prefer me to call you? Shall i name out some of the wonderful names you and your goon squad came up for me?" i said sarcastically.

"Juliet... You must know i feel terrible about all of this. But i have to stay friends with them. They have connections and mother says my best chance of finding a wealthy suitor is with them" she said.

I rolled my eyes slightly while biting my tongue. I know that Alice has it hard, but that does not mean i have to forgive her. "Juliet please say something" she said desperately. "Alice... If you shall excuse me, i see someone is calling me" i said walking away.

I looked around to see anyone i know. I spotted Anthony through the crowds of umbrellas. As i pushed my way through the swarm of people, i saw Anthony looking like a lost puppy. "Viscount Bridgerton" i said with a smirk.

Anthony looked around swiftly but his cheery expression dropped as soon as he saw me. "Oh, it's you" Anthony said continuing to look around. "Wow, you sure know how to make a girl feel special, huh?" i replied sarcastically.

"I apologise Miss Bennet but i am trying to find Miss Sharma" he said. "Well... Which one?" i asked. "The one who is not satin itself" Anthony snapped. I put my hands up in the air gesturing surrender. "Well... Okay then. Where is you brother?" i asked.

Anthony turned around slowly and gave me a stern look. "Why do you want to know?" he questioned. "Because i...Why did you get so defensive when i asked which Sharma you were looking for her?" i questioned back.

There was silence between us. "Touché" he replied. "Well, if you tell me where your brother is, i'll tell you where Miss EDWINA Sharma is" i said. Anthony gave me an irritated look.

"You know, i heavily dislike you" he said. I gave him an innocent smile back. "The last time i saw my brother he was with Will Mondrich over by the seating area... Now, where is miss Edwina?" Anthony said giving in.

"Thank you. Edwina is in her seat as well i believe, with her suitor" i replied. Anthony gave me a fake smile as he walked away.

As i made my way through the crowd, i saw Benedict speaking with Lady Danbury. I was confused to see them interact as i knew Benedict was immensely afraid of Lady Danbury's quick wit.