Chpt 17: The Bridgertons And The Featheringtons

It had been a few days since Daphne and Simons wedding. And i haven't left my bed since. I don't want to seem like some young maiden who is so heartbroken that they can't leave their bed but, lately i've just felt as if i had not energy. I don't want to eat, i can't sleep, i don't even want to paint.

Lady Danbury knew something is wrong but she has left me rest for a few days. Today unfortunately, i have no choice but to get up and go to a morning soirée. I used all my energy to get changed and the maids did my hair.

"Miss Bennet, may i come in?" Lady Danbury said as she knocked on my door. "Yes" i called out. She walked in and did a fake gasp. "Well Miss Bennet i must say you look as lovely as ever this morning" she said. "Thank you Lady Danbury, though i unfortunately do not feel it" i said with a fake smile putting my head down. She walked over and titled my head up. "Don't let them see it" she said encouragingly.

I smiled and we headed out to the carriage. When we arrived at the garden party, i saw that it was filled with people. Everyone had drinks and the flowers were as lovely as ever. We walked around and socialised for a bit. It was then i spotted Benedict laughing with his brother. He seemed... happy? How could he be so okay while i felt like utterly dreadful. Did he not care? Was he happy that we weren't speaking?

It was at that moment, Benedict looked over at me and his smile slowly faded. I looked away quickly but it was of no use. I could feel him staring. He started to walk towards me but suddenly his brother Colin started to clang his fork against his glass to make an announcement.

"May i have everyone's attention?" Colin called out. Benedict stopped in his tracks as all eyes were on his brother. "I would like to make a small but rather important announcement. I have happy news to impart. I have asked Miss Marina Thompson to be my wife, and she has accepted" he said proudly.

There was gasps and whispers throughout the crowd. Lady Danbury and i were rather shocked to hear this news. Sure i've seen Miss Thompson and Mr Bridgerton flirt at some balls but i never thought they would marry so quickly. People slowly began to clap and Lady Danbury nudged me to clap aswell.

When i looked at the Bridgertons, i could see they were all as shocked as the rest of us. Anthony especially. I could tell Colin was certainly going to have an unwelcoming journey home.

As time went on, i grew rather bored of all the useless conversation. I had seen Henry Brooke's around but he just smiled and waved. He understood i wished for him to stay away and i was glad he accepted that. But he also must know that Lady Whistledown was quick to write about my absence from society of late.

I looked around the crowd and was rather shocked to see Lady Bridgerton walking towards me. I turned my head hoping she had not seen me, but it was too late. "Miss Bennet, i've been meaning to speak with you" she said with a kind smile.

"Lady Bridgerton, is something wrong?" i asked. "Oh no not at all dear, i was just wondering... Well we all rather enjoyed your company when you had dinner with us a few weeks ago. And i was just wondering if you would like to come again. It has been quite strange without another young woman in the house since Daphne has left and Eloise has been bugging me about seeing you and your sister again" she said.

There was nothing i could possibly think of worse than going to the Bridgertons house at the moment. "Lady Bridgerton, thank you for your offer but i'm afraid-" i was about to say but was cut off by Lady Danbury. "She would love to attend Miss Bridgerton, thank you for the invitation" Lady Danbury said creeping up behind me. "Well then it is settled. We shall see you tonight" she said.

I gave Lady Danbury a cold look when Lady Bridgerton turned back around. "Oh, and i hope you don't mind, the Featheringtons shall be joining us as well."