Chapter Thirteen

"Hi Harley" I say as I open the locked door. The dark sky outside creeps me out, the eerie stillness making a shiver crawl along my spine. I give Harley a hug as she steps forward. Banks stands behind her, his blonde hair done nicely and I wonder if Harley had styled it as he normally just leaves it natural.

I let the couple in and lock the door behind them. I hear Harley lead the way into the kitchen as she says hello to mum before introducing Banks to her.

"Where's my brother?" I hear her exclaim loudly, waiting for me to answer. I walk in the direction of the bedroom to let Hex know that Harley and Banks are here but he appears before I can.

"Right here, stop yelling" he grumbles as he steps into the kitchen. His hair is still damp but not dripping, the look always gets to me and I have to resist the urge to run my hands through it.

I watch as Hex gives his sister a kiss on the cheek in greeting before stepping besides me, his arm loosely wrapped around my waist.

"Hex, this is Banks" Harley announces while slinging an arm in Banks direction as he stands slightly to her left and behind her, his hand gripping her hip.

She seems to be in a better mood now, either that or it's just for show but the smile on her face makes me think it's the first option. Both Harley and I watch as Hex doesn't make a move verbally but nods his head at Banks and Banks mirrors it.

I catch Harley's eye, the both of us raising an eyebrow in sync at the interaction between the two men.

Dinner is ready in no time as we take our seats at the table. I sit next to Hex and across from Harley while Banks is next to Harley and mum is at the head of the table. It's quiet for a moment as everybody starts to eat; the sound of the cutlery hitting plates fills the room. It's not awkward; it's just the fact that nobody has anything to say so I go to my go to: wedding talk. This is bound to at least get mum and Harley talking.

"So" I clear my throat and swallow my mouthful as I gain everybody's attention. "Mum and I went wedding dress shopping the other day" I inform Harley. I watch as her eyes light up in excitement and Hex's hand finds my thigh under the table.

"What!" She exclaims with a smile "why didn't you invite me?" She asks, the light in her eyes not dimming one bit. She isn't upset, just genuinely wondering.

"It was a last minute thing, next time you can come with us" I smile at her and I see her eyes somehow light up further.

"You didn't buy a dress?" She questions, to which I shake my head, no.

"Speaking of the wedding" mum pipes up as I look at her but she's looking at Harley giving her a 'you say it' look and I wonder what they could have possibly had time to talk about in the kitchen before I had walked in.

"When is it?" Harley spits out, bringing all the attention back to me.

"Uh..." is all I have to say, because honestly I don't know when it is. I side eye Hex hoping he'll jump in but he's watching his fork carefully as he shovels his mouth with food, distracted but listening. "I don't know" I finally say.

I look at Hex when he clears his throat "21st of may" is all he says with half a mouth full of food. My mouth drops as he goes back to eating like he hadn't just dropped that bomb on everyone, including me.

"Excuse me?" I say, not sure if I had heard him right. My eyes stay glued to the side of his face as mums fork clatters to her plate and Harley gasps.

Hex remains unfazed as he turns to face me once he notices everyone looking at him. Except for Banks, he doesn't seem interested as he eats his food quietly besides Harley. They really do even each other out.