Chapter Thirty

The negative emotions that my father had installed within me evaporated as soon as I pass through the doors. Almost like as soon as I pass the threshold anything negative that could ruin my special day was sucked from me.

The room had been decorated just as I imagined. White chairs line the aisle, big white bows on the back of them. Everyone was sitting in them, watching me walk. Harvey and baby Jack to my right. Clyde to my left. Is that Charlie?

My eyes catch sight of the wheelchair at the end of the aisle that shows a head of curly hair. Wyonna doesn't turn in her seat but her gaze is tilted upwards and I follow it to Hex.

He stands under the arch, multiple flowers wrap around it and bring colour to the white. His suit is a navy colour with brown shoes and a white under vest. Everything else in the room disappears as I connect my eyes with his. Nothin else matters as I feel my heart pulling, wanting to go to Hex.

My brand ignites and I resist the urge to rub it. Hex doesn't resist though as he lifts his hand and rubs before leaving his hand placed over his heart.

His pupils dilate and sparkle in the chandelier above us that casts fairies across the room.

I don't even know who else showed up. More people than I expected to show on such short notice are here but I can only see them from my peripheral as I'm physically unable to look away from Hex.

I hear the muffled sniffles from mum as she stands to my left.

The worries I had about possibly tripping over my dress or stumbling in my heels doesn't even register in my head until I've reached the end and am facing Hex. Only then does it feel like I've come back to reality. Like everything was a blur as I walked except for Hex.

I step back a small step when Hex tries to pull me in with an arm around my waist. I see his eyebrow tick when he doesn't get his way. Instead, he holds out his hands and I grab them, giving them a squeeze as we wait for the marriage officiant to start talking.

"Welcome loved ones" a hush falls over everyone as the quiet whispers stop. Even mums sniffling ceases.  "Thank you all for coming today to share in this wonderful occasion. Today we are here together to unite Hex Rose and Poppy Hart in marriage".

Hex follows the lead of the wedding officiant and repeats after him "Do you Hex Rose, take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to live together in matrimony, to love her, comfort her, honor and keep her, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy, to have and to hold, from this day forward, as long as you both shall live?" There's a glint to Hex's eyes, one that ignites further as the vows go on.

"I do".

Emotion flows through me. It's not mine though, it's Hex's. The love, gratitude and disbelief catches me off guard until my brain connects the wires. Hex never thought he'd get this opportunity, he thought I was dead. I thought he was dead too but I would've been able to have companionship with a Platonic at least, he would have been by himself until the day he died because he was a prisoner.

"Do you Poppy Hart, take this man to be your lawfully wedded husband, to live together in matrimony, to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him, in sickness and in health, in sorrow and in joy, to have and to hold, from this day forward, as long as you both shall live?" My breath is stolen from me at the words, but my lungs inflate again when I look into Hex's eyes.

"I do".

"Hex and Poppy have chosen rings to exchange with each other as a symbol of their unending love. As you place this ring on Poppy's finger, please repeat after me. With this ring, I thee wed and pledge you my love now and forever". Hex's voice is strong as he speaks, filling me with my own confidence. He slides the single diamond ring onto my finger, it matches my engagement ring. The sight of it sparkling catches the chandelier.