Chapter FortyEight

My stomach drops when we round the corner nad our apartment becomes visible. I don't know why I feel so nervous but Hex being so on edge isn't helping one bit. He may have lowered his voice and apologised but the tight grip he holds the steering wheel with confirms that he's still angry.

The sky had darkened considerably since we left mums even though it was barely fifteen minutes ago but the events that had happened within that span of time has made it seem more like an hour.

It's silent between us as I unlock the front door. The click of the lock turning is loud and Teddy hears it, coming to walk around my feet as I enter.

"Alright" Hex sighs in frustration as he locks the door. "Tell me" he demands.

I continue walking into the kitchen with my back to him "I need a drink" I murmur. My throat is dry and and my saliva thick.

Hex follows behind me and patiently waits, watching me drink out of a glass as he leans on the kitchen island across from me. His eyes follow my every move and I have no doubt he can tell by the way I crack my knuckles and fiddle with my hair that I'm anxious to tell him.

He nods his head in encouragement when I finish the glass, the water doing little to sooth my throat.

"Don't get mad and don't yell" I say firmly, hoping that it will lessen the outcome of this conversation. He nods but the darkness behind his eyes says something else. "T-the Pollars came in to work today" his eyes darken further nad I see his hands grip the island out the corner of my eye. "T-they stayed all day."

He nods, his eyes darkening further. I think he's trying to give me a false sense of security but it's not working.

"Hex?" I say softly ready for him to lash out.

"What did they do?" He asks, his voice rough.

My chin starts to wobble at the harshness of his voice, its not towards me though, its towards Amos and Ace Pollar, but I keep the tears at bay and focus on the rest of the story.

"Drink a-and-."

"Did they talk to you?" He asks, his grip on the island becoming tighter.

"They tried to" I say quietly. "Harley wanted to confront them, but I didn't let her" I whisper. It does little to direct Hex's attention away from me.

He nods and looks to his left, giving me a clear view of his jaw clenching. I jump when he slams his hands on the island, the sound a loud smack and I wince knowing his hands must throb at least a little bit.

"Okay" he says more so to himself as he takes a deep breath in and continues nodding. "Okay."

My breath hitches in my throat when he turns and grabs the car keys before disappearing into the lounge room and in the dierection of the front door. The boots that he hadn't taken off at the door stomp along the floorboards loudly and I hope our neighbours can't hear them.

"Where are you going?" I exit the kitchen in a rush after him "you said you wouldn't leave" I plead as he unlocks the door. My heart throbs in my chest.

"I'm going to Harley's, be back soon. Lock the door behind me" is all he says as he closes the door with a slam. I do as he says and lock the door before making my way over to the window and pulling the curtains back. I watch as he walks to his car. His stance strong and obviously pissed by the tensing of his figure.

He gets in the car and pulls out of the driveway too fast, the car engine being heard loud along the street before fading as he gets further away.

And once the car headlights fade completely a chill takes over me, an eerie chill. I hadn't been by myself in this apartment ever, especially not at night. Hex is always with me. Always.