Chapter Six

Hex arrives home as I am chopping vegetables with mum in the kitchen. I can hear his boots stomp along the floor, walking in our direction and I resist the urge to yell out about wearing his work boots inside but I can feel the slump in his mood before I even lay eyes on him so I don't say anything.

Mum had spent the day waiting by the phone for the government to call about a job available but the truth is that it could take a while which is understandable; she had been out of the work force for quite some time.

I expect Hex to go straight to our bedroom to shower and change out of his work clothes but he doesn't, instead he walks up behind both mum and I. Mum jumps when he places his hand on the kitchen island, the sound of his skin hitting the marble echos in the small room.

"Oh Hex, hello. How was work today?" Mum asks as she places the knife down and goes to Hex, placing a kiss on his cheek as a greeting. I turn to watch them as I pick up a carrot to peel. Hex doesn't even try to hide the dull look in his eyes as he greets mum back; it's so noticeable that even mum sees it.

I know it's because he knows Harley went to see Wyonna today and I wonder if anything further had happened. Had Harley called him afterwards? Had Wyonna gone downhill?

"It was good" Hex answers quietly. Mum looks between the two of us before the tension in the air makes her uncomfortable.

"I'll be in the lounge, call if you need me honey" she announces before making her departure. As soon as she rounds the corner Hex drops his bag on the ground and walks up to me. He takes the carrot and the peeler from my hands and places them on the counter while simultaneously gently moving the prepared food to the right with his forearm.

"You okay?" I whisper between us as he lifts me onto the counter and steps between my legs. His head comes to rest on my chest, just under my chin. My hands subconsciously go to the back of his head and hold him to me while playing with his dirty hair.

I hold him in silence as I wait for him to speak. I take his weight as he leans into me and I feel the tension leave his body from my touch.

"Did Harley have anything to say about mum today?" He asks quietly, his voice murmured by my skin. I press a kiss to the top of his head as what I had suspected was bothering him comes to light.

"No" I hush "she was a little quiet when she got back but she didn't say anything" I explain. Hex hums in his chest and tightens his arms around me. I don't even care that he's covered in all sorts of grime from the mechanic shop and that it's most likely getting all over me.

I can hear the muted noise of the TV from the next room over as mum watches it. Mum knows what is going on with Wyonna but I don't think Hex feels comfortable talking about her in front of mum; he doesn't even want to talk to his own sister about her.

"Maybe you should call her?" I suggest into his ear. I worry for a second that the suggestion might push him away but instead he pulls his head from my chest and looks at me, making eye contact.

"You think?" He rasps between us. I say nothing but nod. Hex doesn't move as I watch his eyes move around my face, almost like he's taking me in for the first time all over again. His eyes come back to mine and I can see the clear distress going on behind them. "Can you go with Harley next time?" He asks.

I haven't been going to see Wyonna because I had thought there might be a chance that Hex didn't want me to and I didn't want to over step any boundaries. Even though I adore Wyonna and had seen the progression of her dementia first hand, she's not my mother and I have to respect that.

"You want me to visit your mum?" I ask for confirmation.

"Yeah, if you don't mind" Hex answers "it'll make me feel better knowing you're there with Harley" he explains. I nod without any further words before leaning forward and pressing a kiss to his mouth. Hex kisses me back before patting my thigh and pulling away.