Chapter SixtyEight

"Hex" I pant as I jog to catch up. He had left Wyonna's room in a hurry and left me behind in the process.

He doesn't wait and continues walking, not looking at anyone or anything around him. His jaw clenches and unclenches each time a nurse smiles at him as he walks past. I throw each one a sorry when their faces crumble a little.

I eventually catch up to him, latching my hand on his forearm, rubbing it up and down in comfort.

The lady at the front desk says goodbye to us but she's promptly ignored. The automatic doors open and allow cold air to hit us in the face as we exit.

Oxygen fills my lungs and I hear the deep inhale Hex does beside me, it does little to calm him.

My thighs start to ache at the fast pace I have to keep up to stay by Hex's side. He's in a rush, wanting to be in the comfort of our own home as quickly as possible before he loses it in the car park of the hospice.

"Excuse me!" The shriek of an older woman echos from behind us. I look over my shoulder and see her waving her hand at us. I don't recognise her and I ignore her when Hex doesn't bother stopping either. "It's common curtesy; ladies first."

I have no idea what she's talking about but when I look over my shoulder once again, I see her waving her hand at the doors. There was plenty of room for both Hex and her to walk through at the same time and it becomes apparent quickly that she just wants to make a scene.

Hex's temper balances on the edge and its not going to be this woman that sends him over the edge and embarrasses him in public.

"Excuse me!"

My hair whips my face as I spin to look at her, my eyebrows bunch together in what I hope is an intimidating look.

"Would you shut the fuck up!" I match her attitude and volume. It seems to stun her into silence as her mouth opens and closes like a fish before she turns and finally walks into the hospice without another word.

Hex remains silent but his hand grabs my own and holds it tight.

I take the keys from him and sit in the drivers seat. He doesn't even bother fighting me like he usually would. He's still shaking and his leg bounces as he looks out the passenger window.

My heart aches watching him in such a state and there being nothing I can do to make him feel better.

We arrive home before I know it, my mind somehow being on auto pilot and getting us from point A to point B without any cognitive thought.

I get out of the car and lock it once Hex gets out too. Except he rounds the car instead of walking in the direction of our apartment. I stop in my way as he towers over me and holds out his hand. I place the keys in his open palm and he leans down to kiss my forehead.

"I'll be back in a bit" I can do nothing as he walks around me and gets in the drivers side of the car, turns the engine on and then reverses out, leaving me standing there by myself.

He's gone before I can even stop him, let alone talk to him. My heart sinks to the lowest point it can, he shouldn't be by himself right now and he definitely shouldn't be in public.

The memory of the time he had left and gone to therapy runs through my head on replay as I convince myself that he's making good choices.

I have no option other than to turn around and walk to our apartment by myself. Hex had taken the keys and for a brief moment I worry that I'll be locked out until he comes back but then I remember the key under the doormat.

I pick it up and unlock the door. I'm about to put it back in place but decide against it and bring the key inside for safety reasons.

I jump as Teddy scares me when he runs around the corner with a meow.