Chapter Eighty

I stand with the cloth in my hand and the dirty table behind me as Hex walks back inside, slamming the door behind him.

Its dead silent in Darby's, Hex and Ace dragging everyones attention away from their own conversations.

My eyes follow him as he takes a seat at the bar, his gaze swinging to me and breaking me out of my frozen like state.

I quickly clear the table and wipe it down as the chatter in Darby's starts to get louder with each passing second.

I wordlessly make my way back to the bar with Hex's eyes following me the entire time. I make up a drink; I don't even know what is in it but Hex doesn't mind and takes a swig when I place it front of him.

My eyes zero in on the glass front door of Darby's but I don't see Ace anywhere.

"You don't have to worry about him anymore, baby" my eyes zoom to Hex, his stare intense and the dark angry look he had worn five minutes ago is gone.

I nod, something in his voice comforting me.

"Poppy!" I throw my head back in annoyance at the voice of Stevie, I should've been expecting him. No doubt he saw everything.

"Yes Stevie?" I keep my voice calm and nonchalant.

I see Hex's eyes darken at the way Stevie had yelled my name.

"None of that in my bar!" He somehow manages to gain more attention than Hex did with his volume. Its much higher in pitch than Hex's voice and due to the volume of it I have to hold back a wince as it rings in my ears.

His eyes swing from me to Hex. "You, out now!" I hold my breath as he points a finger at Hex, although he doesn't come too close.

Hex's eyes darken with each word Stevie speaks, but his demeanour is calm.

He faces Stevie, almost lazily and gulps down the rest of his drink.

"What are you gonna do if I don't?" My eyes move back and forth like I'm watching a game of tennis. Hex remains set in his way and emotionless whereas Stevie starts to squirm. I guess he didn't think Hex would argue back.

Stevie's mouth opens and closes multiple times as he tries to come up with some kind of answer.

"I-I-... don't do it again!" His voice wobbles and his finger that continues pointing shakes before he swiftly turns on his heels and storms back into his office.

The hours pass much quicker with Hex by my side. I felt like for the first time in a while I could relax without fearing the presence of Ace Pollar. Maybe its the comfort and safety that he provides that is helping but it was still busy, especially once the after-work rush came in.

Hex tried his best to help, even washing the glasses that I had fallen behind on that lay in the sink but there's only so much he can do. Hex has never worked in a bar and doesn't know his way around like I do.

And soon enough, I'm locking up the front door of Darby's.

"You alright to walk to your car?" Rex asks me and I nod my head.

"Yeah, thank you Rex. Have a good night" I wave goodbye as Hex wraps his arm around my shoulders and pulls me close, trying his best to shield me from the cold wind.

Hex had always been protective but it had gone up a notch in the days since Wyonna died. He had been emotionally distant but his need to look after me had gone up level. I haven't felt the need to mention it yet and instead I just let him do whatever he needs to do to get through his grief.

I lean my head on his shoulder and he presses a kiss to my temple.

"I'm tired" I whisper and hope the wind hadn't carried the words away.

"Mhm" he hums. "Harley needs to come back" he says it like its simple; like because he is able to work while mourning means she should be able too as well so I shake my head.

"She'll come back when she's ready" I sigh. I'm prepared to work by myself or with Sarah for as long as Harley needs me to.

I arrive at my car, Hex's car is parked next to mine. I open the door and spin around to face him quickly, but he's right there, my nose nearly bumping his chest as his arms cage me in between the open door and the car.

"Don't tell her she needs come back, I've got it!" I whisper sternly and point a finger at him. He glances at my finger and then back to my eyes.

"'Bout time you come out of there, pussy" I jump as Ace appears to my right. Had he been waiting by our cars?

It sends a shiver down my spine.

"What are you still doing here? I told you to leave" Hex's demeanour changes in a split second and he faces Ace, walking in his direction. The height difference between the two becomes apparent the closer Hex gets to Ace. I look around, hoping to see Rex for help but he's nowhere to be seen.

"I don't answer to you" it sounds almost childish coming out of his mouth but it pisses Hex off further.

"You do now, bitch" Hex swings his arm before anyone can react and lands a punch on Ace's cheek, sending him to the ground. The gravel under both their feet being thrown around.

I gasp, my hand lifting to my mouth.

"Whoa whoa, what's going on?" Kevin comes out of nowhere and walks past Hex, bending down to give a helping hand to Ace. Ace doesn't take it though and stands abruptly, I worry he'll try to punch Hex and then an all-out brawl will begin but instead he wipes his bleeding nose with his fist and shoulders past Hex, Kevin following behind him.

But Ace can't just walk away and I hold my breath when he turns around to face us.

"Your sister's been looking awfully pretty lately, I'm finally seeing what Alex saw in her" his lips stretch into a sinister smile as the blood from his nose runs onto his top lip.

He turns and walks away.

I hear Hex kicking the stones behind me and I can feel his anger through our bond.

"Let's go home" I mumble, my eyes landing on the red knuckles that hit Ace.

Hex puffs out air through his nose and clenches his fists.

"I should've found and killed that dumb motherfucker when I had the chance." His words make my blood run cold at the hatred within them.

"Don't speak like that, please" I take a seat in the drivers seat but keep the door open to view Hex. "And what chance? You haven't had a ch-."

He cuts me off.

"The other day, the night before mum died. That's where I was, looking for him but I couldn't fucking find him!" My mouth drops at his words. I had suspected it but I also didn't want to believe it.

Its silent as I try to come up with an answer and Hex waits for my response. I can do nothing but shake my head in disbelief.

"Get in your car Hex, I'll meet you at home" I order and slam my car door closed before he can speak another word.

*

I keep checking my rear-view mirror the entire drive home, making sure that Hex is still following me and hadn't turned around to go back to Ace.

I release a breath when we finally pull into our driveway.

My mind floods with the memory of Charlie recommending therapy for Hex months ago. I had barely thought about it since Hex had convinced me he would get help if he needed it and he hadn't mentioned needing the help, but I can't get the thought out of my head that maybe he should. I mean, it could help him grieve and handle Ace's antics better.

He walks against me, my back and his chest bumping with each step until we get inside and he locks the door behind us.

Teddy meows in greeting as he appears from our bedroom, his eyes half open like he had been sleeping for the past however-many hours.

"Hex..?" I call hesitantly as I wait by the door and he shrugs off his work boots. He doesn't answer verbally but he turns to look at me. "Have you... have you thought about therapy? I ask quietly. His expression doesn't change as he continues looking at me.

He looks away coldly and doesn't answer.

"Okay" I whisper.