Chapter TwentyTwo

I have nervous butterflies flying around in my stomach. They had been there since I woke up this morning. Hex seems completely fine and I wonder how he managers to keep himself so composed almost all the time.

We're going to look at wedding venues today and the nervousness is something I didn't expect. Excited? Yes. Nervous? No.

Let me explain; I'm not nervous for the wedding or to be looking at venues. I'm nervous that we won't find what we like in the short six week limit we set for ourselves, this is my wedding and I don't want to settle for the easiest option just because of our time limit. Are we even going to find a venue that will take us under such short notice?

"Where the fuck is she?" I'm pulled out of my thoughts by Hex as we wait by the entry of the vineyard. Mum is over to our left observing the flowers that grow on each side of the path that lines the walkway.

"She'll be here soon" I reassure him. Harley was meant to meet us here ten minutes ago but had failed to show her face yet. I have no doubt she'll show up because she had texted me this morning about how excited she is; so something must have held her up.

"Lets start without her" Hex suddenly exclaims as he grabs my hand and begins tugging me to the entrance door.

"Hex, no" I tug back and he releases my hand. I have to supress the smile on my face as I watch the grumpy look settle on his face. If there's one thing that Hex isn't, it's patient.

Just then I see Harley's car enter the car park as she stumbles out. I hold my hand over my eyes to see her better through the sunlight.

"Fucking finally" Hex mumbles behind me as his chest bumps my back.

"I'm so sorry, I was held up" Harley exclaims while greeting mum before moving on to me. Her hair is a mess and I don't miss the red mark on her neck that she discreetly covers with her collar. She winks at me and I hold back a chuckle.

Hex grunts in disgust as he sees the exchange between Harley and I and the hickey.

Hex holds the door open for the three of us to enter. Instantly I'm met with neutral colours of oak wood, white and lots of sunlight. The high ceilings make the room feel much bigger than it is, almost like a cathedral. A reception desk sits to our right in front of big windows and a couch with a chandelier hangs to our left. The sunlight hitting the chandelier casts speckles of light across the room. It brings a smile to my lips as I make eye contact with mum; she would always tell me those sparkles of light were fairies when I was younger.

"Ahh, I'm assuming you're Hex and Poppy Rose?" A middle aged man dressed in a blue suit approaches us. His hair is slicked back and he wears small circle shaped glasses on his face. He walks towards us with a wide smile on his face, his white teeth almost enough to blind me.

"Nice to meet you" I greet as I shake his hand. Hex takes his hand, giving it a firm, intimidating shake and I don't miss the swallow that the guy does before he greets mum and Harley. "This is my mother, Emma. And Hex's sister, Harley" I introduce them.

"Lovely to meet you ladies, I'm Nicholas" he introduces himself. "Now come right through here and I'll show you the venue" Nicholas waves his hand in the direction of two floor-to-ceiling doors.

He pushes one open to allow us through and the room is simple. Pretty but simple. It's bright due to the big windows that covers two out of the four walls of the rectangle shaped room. The floor is oak wood floorboards and there's a balcony that overlooks the vineyard.

"Wow" Harley exclaims from behind us. I grab Hex's hand as we observe the area. I didn't expect to like the first place we looked at so much.

"Yeah" I agree quietly. Hex looks at me from my right but I concentrate on the room in front of me. I imagine the rows of chairs placed on either side as I stand where I am right now and walk in-between them. At the end is a canopy with flowers intertwined around it as Hex stands under it. My heart begins to pound.