Chapter Sixteen

I have no idea where Hex went, he's been gone for hours at this point. Mum had come home two hours ago. I asked on the off chance if Hex had contacted her, to which she said no. Well, first she looked at me strangely because Hex had never texted or called her before even though he does have her number.

I told her about Harley looking for a hospice for Wyonna and explained that that's why Hex took off. She was upset, she had never met Wyonna besides when I was a little girl but she shed a few tears for her, for Hex and for Harley.

I have been in constant contact with Harley since Hex left the apartment. She hadn't heard from him either and has no idea where he could have possibly gone. I'm sick to my stomach with worry and I pray to god that he controls his anger.

The sky is darkening outside as the moon comes out from hiding. It's a half moon tonight, identical to the one branded onto the chests of Hex and I, the thing that bonds us together. The later it gets, the more I'm convinced the police will call instead of Hex.

"Heard anything?" Mum sticks her head into the lounge room as I sit in the dark on the couch, only the light from the kitchen is illuminating me. I shake my head no as I once again check my phone. Mum clicks her tongue "he'll be okay, honey" she gives me a tight lipped smile and I struggle to give her one back. She doesn't understand that I'm worried about more than just his actions. I'm worried for his safety.

Mum sets a plate of dinner down in front of me on the coffee table but I can't eat it and eventually it goes cold.

9 o'clock rolls around and then it's 10pm and he's still not home. I contemplate contacting Charlie just so he knows what's happening but I decide to wait until the morning and if Hex still isn't home by then, then I'll call Charlie.

I head to bed at 12am with a heavy heart. I fall asleep on Hex's side of the bed, leaving the bedroom door open in hopes that Hex will come home during the night and close it behind him.

*

A loud noise wakes me and with a glance at my phone I see its 3am in the morning. I relax completely, my jaw unclenching and my shoulders dropping knowing that Hex is now safe and home.

I hear him lock the front door and then walk down the hallway in the direction of the bedroom. My eyebrows frown when I hear him knock into the wall. His footsteps become silent when he enters the bedroom and walks on the soft carpet. He closes the bedroom door behind him with a click.

I have my back to him, I don't know if he thinks I'm asleep or not but I'm too tired to have such a serious conversation at this time in the morning.

The bed shakes as he sits on the edge and I hear him pulling off his boots, throwing them with a dull thud in the corner. He lies down, scooting up until his chest is to my back.

"Baby" He rasps, his breath fanning over my cheek.

He doesn't sound sad, he does sound extremely tired though.

He nuzzles his face into the back of my neck and wraps an arm tightly around my waist pulling me further into him.

"Fuck, I love you" he slurs. Sending another wave of his breath over me and I instantly sit up and look over my shoulder at him.

"What the fuck?" I whisper as I watch Hex turn onto his back and use both hands to wipe at his eyes before they flop down by his sides lazily. At some point he had lost his shirt but had remained in his track pants.

"Poppy" he groans and reaches for me but I move further to the other side of the bed and out of his reach.

"What the fuck" I repeat louder and reach over to turn the lamp on the bedside table on.