Chapter TwentyFour

"Are you sure you're okay?" Harley questions while I scramble to unbuckle my seatbelt as we pull up outside my apartment. Hex's car is in the driveway so I know he's home, which isn't surprising since it's a Saturday but I had worried he had gone looking for me once I didn't answer his calls. "Poppy, did something happen?"

"No, no I'm okay" I give her the most convincing smile I can muster but I know it does nothing to convince her when her facials don't change. "I'll see you at work, okay? Let me know how Wyonna likes her new place" I quickly get out of the car before she can ask anymore questions.

The car door slams behind me but she doesn't drive off until I reach the front door and even then it's a slow roll down the street like she's knows something's not right.

The door is ripped open just as I place my hand on the handle. Hex stands there, his eyes wide and his face tight. I wince knowing that he's not happy.

"Why didn't you answer your phone, Poppy?" He asks as I push past him and walk inside. He closes and locks the door behind me.

My knees shake as I walk into the kitchen and I'm afraid he'll see as he walks behind me but if he does he doesn't say anything.

"Huh?" He encourages me to answer him. "What happened? Was it mum?"

I throw a quick glance from the corner of my eye in the direction of mums room and note that her bedroom door is opened so she's not home, I breathe a sigh of relief.

"No, it wasn't your mum" I state calmly. I place my bag down on the island and grab a glass from the cupboard before filling it with water.

"Well are you going to tell me what happened? I was getting ready to come find you for fucks sake" he exclaims as he follows me around the kitchen. I look down and take note that he has his shoes on his feet and that he indeed was about to leave to find me.

He waits as I gulp down the rest of my water but the longer I take the more impatient he's becoming.

I gulp down the final sip and place the glass in the sink.

"What happened, baby?" He asks again, his tone softer now and I think it's because he can feel my anxiety and see the slight shake to my hands as I grip the counter.

"I-I think we should call Charlie" I stutter. Charlie would be the best person to ask for advice in this situation. He knows what the best course of action will be and he'll be a voice of reason when Hex blows up.

I watch as Hex's face contorts and I can almost see as his thoughts come to the forefront of his mind. The softness he held in his features for me slowly turns to anger and his hands start clenching.

"Did you see Ace fucking Pollar again?" He huffs "I'll fucking kill him Poppy" he fumes as he turns his back on me and runs a hand through his hair.

"No Hex, I didn't see Ace" I reassure him but it does little "and don't talk like that" I mutter quietly.

"Then why do we need Charlie? If we need him then it has something to do with that fucking family" he faces me again. He leans back on the counter behind him, his hands clenching right by his sides as he grabs the edge and images of him crumbling the marble like hulk flash through my mind.

"I just think that it would be better if we had Charlie here" I explain my point of view. Hex is quiet for a moment, his eyes set firmly on me as he tilts his head. I start to squirm as he looks at me, searching for something.

"Are you scared of me?" He asks quietly, only the sound of his voice fills the apartment.

"What? No, don't be stupid" I say, almost offended that he had ever thought that but mostly hurt that I had made him feel like that. "No you don't scare me, don't ever think that" I drill into his head as I hold firm eye contact.