Chapter FortyThree

Both Hex and I had called into work sick the day after. As I had predicted, Hex had woken up black and blue and much more stiff in his muscles then when he had gone to sleep.

As for me, I didn't sleep that night. Not one bit. Not even after Hex had reassured me everything would be okay if he fell asleep. I spent all night lying in bed, watching the time tick by on my phone and waking Hex every hour.

Each time I would shake him awake he would either grunt or reach for me. I have no doubt it was annoying but not once did he complain, if anything he was upset that I had stayed awake all night for him.

"Wow" Harley exclaims after a long moment of silence. Her eyes are wide and her jaw dropped as she stares at me.

"Yep" I sigh, gathering my breath back after I had dropped the bomb of what had happened the other day on her.

"Wow" she repeats.

Darby's is quiet today. Thankfully. I still hadn't recovered from the all nighters I pulled to look after Hex.

He had once again called off work today. Well, I had. He had been reluctant and would have gone if I hadn't of raised my voice. He somehow seems stiffer today then yesterday. I had told him before I left this morning to sit in the bath and give himself a massage to the best of his abilities, hoping that it allow him to go to work tomorrow.

Clyde is very understanding, even if Hex hadn't explained why he needed the time off but I guess he'll find out when Hex walks into the mechanic shop black and blue tomorrow.

"Well... on a positive note; at least Hex's parole is over" Harley gives me a sheepish smile as she tries to make light of the situation.

I snort even though what she said was true. This could have been so much worse if Hex was still on parole and I am not going through that again.

"Ladies" I jump at the unexpectedness as Kevin takes a seat in front of us on the other side of the bar.

"Kevin" Harley states "how are you?" She asks.

"Good darlin'" he smiles with his teeth that very much need some dental care. "Give me a beer, will ya?" He asks. Harley and I side eye each other as we pause. A beer? My heart sinks thinking he had gone back to his old ways. "Oh don't look at me like that, it's only one. If I ask for another don't give it to me" he chuckles.

Harley continues looking to me, like she's waiting to see what I think she should do but I'm in no position to control a grown mans actions so I shrug and she gets Kevin a beer.

"How're you and that scrap book going?" Kevin asks as Harley walks away. I laugh at his description of Hex and his tattoos. "No babies yet?" He glances down at my stomach.

I sigh, getting very tired of this question from everyone who asks. "No babies" I state firmly.

"Right" Kevin clears his throat at the underlying tone of annoyance in my voice. "I never had any, probably a good thing. I would've been a terrible father" he admits. I look at him as he picks at the fraying edges of the bar mat. I can hear the slight sadness to his voice and behind his eyes but he still gives me a smile; even if it is fake.

"Not everyone's meant to be a parent" I shrug thinking about all the people in my life who shouldn't of had children; my parents included.

"Ain't that right" he slams the bar with his opened palm "my daddy was definitely one of 'em" he mumbles. I don't reply, not exactly sure that he meant for me to hear his words but the small piece of information explains some of the hard ships he has faced so far in his life.