Chapter ThirtyEight

"Hex, what the hell!" I hiss between my teeth as I walk behind him. He doesn't so much as acknowledge me as he walks with his hands fisted by his sides. His work boots stomp the gravel and kick rocks.

The tinge of blood on his palm worries me that he has opened his stitches.

Hex is silent as he gets into his car. I speed up my walk knowing that if I let him leave then he won't meet me at home.

"Hex" I stop him before he can close the car door. His hand remains on the door handle ready to pull it closed if he wanted to. He keeps his eyes looking straight ahead with his jaw clenched as I look at his side profile. "I'll meet you at home" I state, waiting to see him nod his head.

He blows out a deep breath through his nose and taps his other hand on the steering wheel in impatience.

"Okay?" I push when he doesn't answer. He nods his head slowly, almost hesitantly but doesn't verbalise a word.

I wait for a second longer before leaning forward and placing a quick, comforting kiss on his lips. He doesn't react to that either as I back away and allow him to close the door.

I quickly walk over to my car, afraid he'll leave and disperse before I can follow him home but when I'm in my car I note that he had waited until I had safely got inside before he pulls away.

I had lost him during the drive home. I had been doing the speed limit but it seems like he had been going faster than that and I can't help the insecurities from creeping in, wondering if he was trying to get away from me but when I get home I see his car in the driveway and I release a deep breath of relief.

I can hear him slamming cabinets and cupboards in the kitchen when I open the front door. I quickly kick off my shoes and lock the door behind me before following the noise.

"Why is there no alcohol in this fucking house" Hex mumbles to himself in frustration as he slams a cupboard harshly, making me jump in the doorway.

"We didn't need it" I answer. He doesn't jump but I know he hadn't heard me arrive home.

We don't have alcohol in the house because Hex wasn't allowed to drink it and I've never been a big drinker. Besides, even if I was, I wasn't going to drink in front of him while he couldn't join.

Hex continues slamming doors and making unnecessary noise in an attempt to let his frustration and anger out. I wince every time, expecting a door to come off it's hinges but none of them do. I guess it's better he does this then punch a hole in the wall.

"I'm going out" he says abruptly and starts walking through the kitchen, in the direction of the front door but I grab his arm. He shrugs me off with little force but I run around him and push on his chest, this time he does stop.

"Where?" I question, my voice straining. I will not spend another sleepless night waiting up for him to return once again.

"Don't know" he mumbles without looking at me and tries to push me out of the way with his arm but I fight against him. "I'll be back later".

"A bar?" I ask, trying to find his eyes but he just looks at the door over my head.

"Maybe" he answers and tries to move past me again but once again I stop him.

"Would you stop?" I push against his chest with each word but he only steps back a little and I know it's because he did it voluntarily and not because I was strong enough.

Hex grabs my wrists in both of his hands. By now I can't find it in myself to be concerned about his injured hand. I'm more concerned about his safety and the trouble he could get himself in if he leaves.