Chapter SixtyFour

Hex's arm curls even tighter around me, drawing me into his chest as Ace's voice echos from behind us.

I jump at the surprise but also the fear that takes over me.

I look around Hex as we stand still, only a few feet away from my car. Hex keeps his back to Ace but he turns his head in a way that ensures he's on guard. Ace stands against the back wall of Darby's in the dark, the only light is his lit cigarette and the brief outline of his silhouette.

He had obviously been waiting for us to exit Darby's and I wonder if I had of left Darby's throughout the day - say for my lunch break - would he have followed me? I can't help but bunch Hex's shirt in my fists at the thought.

Hex doesn't answer him but makes it known to Ace that he's listening. Hex tries to gently push me in the direction of my car, willing me to get inside but I don't want to leave him with Ace so I stay put.

"How's Mrs. Rose?" Hex stiffens under my hands. How does he know about Wyonna being sick? Or is he just genuinely asking how she is? Either way his words feel taunting, like he doesn't care and only wants a reaction from Hex. "I've not been around to see her since Alex died" my blood pressure drops as Hex's rises. His heart pounds under my hands. It had never occurred to me that Amos and Ace were aware of Wyonna being in the same hospice as Alex. Had they talked to her?

Hex begins to breathe heavily as he resists the urge to give Ace what he wants.

"She even thought I was you" they had talked to her. "She must have forgotten you; when was the last time you went to see her?"

The words are like venom as they float through the air between us and into the ears of Hex and I. They sting and cause a physical reaction when Hex recoils and I feel the overwhelming urge to vomit.

Hex had yet to say anything and I pull my eyes from Ace to look up at him but he's looking over my head into nothing, his eyes are angry and blank. His hand that's wrapped around my waist tangles itself in the ends of my hair, subconsciously trying to comfort himself.

"I only saw her a few weeks ago, but then Alex died. You know... my brother." The fire in Ace's words when he mentions his brother sends a shiver down my spine. He had been taunting and mocking until now. Now he sounds like he's out for revenge and I have no doubt that's exacly what he's after.

"Speaking of siblings" Ace turns and looks in the direction of where Harley had walked with Rex.

His words cause Hex to turn, not completely but sideways as I now hold onto his forearm and he uses his body to shield me but his eyes are set on Ace, making sure he doesn't move towards his sister.

"Oh, that got your attention, didn't it?" Ace continues taunting Hex, a smirk pulling at his lips as he drops the finished cigarette to the ground.

"Hex, lets go" I speak, looking up at him and attempting to tug on his hand but he doesn't move. Not even an inch.

"She looked good today" Hex stiffens further if that's even possible "she looked better last week though, when she didn't have that bitchy look on her face; reminded me too much of you" Ace confirms that he had come into Darby's last week and I begin to panic, this is the first time Hex had heard about him showing up.

"Let's go" I attempt again, my voice much softer to hide the shake in it. I freeze as Ace's eyes move from Hex to me. They feel like a snake as they crawl along my skin and leave a cold shiver in their wake.

"Go on Rose; listen to your bitch" Hex finally snaps.

"Stop! Hex, ignore him. He wants you to react" Hex jerks me as he attempts to go after Ace but my hold on his forearm stops him. I'm sure if he wanted to shake me off, he would but he also doesn't want to leave my side. I use my palm to get him to look at me but it doesn't work and he just shakes my hand off his cheek.

His lip is curled in a snarl and his eyes are ablaze with hatred as they clash with Ace's that are equally full of hate.

A breath of silence settles between the three of us. The cold air can be seen as we breathe and I begin to shiver; from the cold or adrenalin; I don't know.

"What do you want Pollar?" Hex's deep voice rumbles out in the empty carpark and in between the silence. I keep a hold of Hex but stop trying to drag him to the car.

"What do I want?" The mocking from earlier is completely gone now; replaced with anger that's hidden behind the calmness in his words. Hex and I stay silent, waiting for his answer. "I want my brother and father back."

The silent gasp I breathe in fills my lungs but stings my chest at the same time. Whereas Hex stops breathing completely, his chest becoming still and his muscles tightening under my hold.

"Get in the car, baby" Hex speaks between his teeth, trying his best to remain calm as he speaks to me but I can feel his patience dwindling and he knows it too.

"Come with me" I tug again on his hand but get nothing in response.

"But you took them from me" if looks could kill, Hex would be six feet under and I'd be not far behind him. The venom in Ace's voice is enough to cause a bad taste in my mouth when I swallow.

The cigarette that he dropped to the ground finally burns out.

I can feel the fury rising in Hex, it's strong enough to be felt through our bond and make my heart beat faster. He doesn't appreciate being blamed for the deaths of Alex and Amos. He's on the verge of exploding.

"Hex, I want to go home" I tug harsher on his arm as my voice cracks and tears threaten to fall.

"Everything alright over there?" I jump as another voice enters the carpark. Rex stands by the entrance of Darby's, the outside light that remains on all night shines on him and illuminates his figure.

I breathe a sigh of relief, partly because now I know Harley got to her car safely and also because if anything happens between Hex and Ace then Rex is here to jump in.

I look between Ace and Hex, waiting for one of them to answer Rex but they keep silent as they eye each other off.

"Y-yeah, everything's fine. Thanks Rex. We're going now" my voice shakes as I yell across the carpark. Rex say anything but continues watching with his arms folded across his chest and his face set in a serious but curious expression.

I didn't expect for Hex to listen to me so when he steps in the direction of the car it briefly throws me off balance and I trip on the gravel ground but regain my balance quickly, looking over my shoulder and making sure Ace hadn't moved. He hadn't.

At some point Hex had taken the keys from my bag and unlocked the car as I scramble into the passenger seat and he slams the door after me. I hold my breath and watch closely as he rounds the front of the car.

Air catches in my throat when Hex points the keys at my car and locks the doors.

He walks towards Ace without looking back.