Chapter ThirtyOne

I'm groggy when I wake to knocking on the front door the morning after our wedding. We had considered staying in a hotel for the night but I'm glad we didn't, there's no where else I'd rather be than in my own bed.

Yesterday and last night had worn me out and I planned on staying in bed all day to recover.

I stir further at the second round of knocking. "Hex" I groan against the side of his chest as he lies next to me, his arm being used as my pillow. I had found myself in this position multiple times during the night and I have no doubt that his arm is numb by now.

He groans in response but doesn't move, except to tighten his arm around me.

I run my hand up his chest, feeling his naked warm skin against my own as my leg falls over his hip and my breast's are squished between us.

"Door" I whisper into the silent room but once again he doesn't respond verbally.

His hand tangles in my hair and tugs gently, the knots from ludicrous amounts of hairspray causing his fingers to tangle easily.

A third round of knocking is heard as well as the vibration of Hex's phone as it rings simultaneously.

I keep my eyes closed but I feel him move and grab his phone. He doesn't answer it but declines the call and places his phone back down on the bedside table.

"Fucking Charlie" he grunts and slides out from around me. I roll onto my stomach, the blanket falling to the bottom of my naked back. I listen to Hex's movements as he makes himself presentable to answer the door.

He runs his hand down my back gently and pushes the hair away from the side of my face before he leaves.

"Fucking hell Charlie, the morning after my fucking wedding?" I crack a smile as I listen to them talk. Hex sounds a mix between extremely tired and irritated. He's too tired to be truely angry.

"I'm just doing my job Mr. Rose" Charlie replies, his voice monotone. The front door clicks closed and I hear them walk into the lounge room where Charlie usually sets up everything he'll need to test Hex. "Besides, this is the last time I'll be here, might as well make it rememberable".

My eyes open for the first time this morning as I remember Hex's parole finishes today. I quickly close my eyes again from the bright light that shines sun through the open window. How had we forgotten to close the curtains last night?

I drag my body up, squinting my eyes as I look for something to wear. My wedding dress is in a pile on the floor and I pick it up, inspecting it for any tears that Hex had left while getting it off last night but I can't seem to find any. I breathe a sigh of relief and hang it in the closet. I spot Hex's shirt in the corner, I could care less that it's dirty as I slip it over my head. I find my track pants too.

A quick glance in the mirror shows my flushed face is filled with life and my hair is that of a birds nest thanks to Hex. I attempt is to run my hand over the pieces that stick up in the front but when it does nothing I shrug and leave it.

Charlie could care less about how I look.

I stumble down the hallway and shake my head attempting to wake myself further.

Hex and Charlie are sat in the lounge room as I appear. Hex's eyes instantly find me, scanning my body from head to toe. I take him in for the first time this morning. His own hair is a mess and his face has a youthful glow to it despite the scowl that Charlie has caused.

"Good morning, Charlie" my voice cracks, thick with sleep. Charlie barely glances up as he fiddles with his briefcase, pulling out a number of things one by one.