Chapter SixtyTwo

After double checking that we hadn't missed anything we put Stevie's computer back the way we found it and leave his office, locking the door behind us.

The lunch rush had come in heavy today, making up for the lack of yesterday.

Of course it happens on the day I'm working.

Through the sea of people I had seen Stevie come back from his lunch break. He had clearly seen how busy we were but didn't bother helping and instead went back to his office and watched the chaos from the cameras.

"How're you going darl? Busy in 'ere, huh?" Kevin makes me jump when he stands by the bar. I had been too busy cleaning up from the rush to notice him. It was still busy but no where near as crowded as it was half an hour ago.

"Yeah" I breathlessly chuckle as I talk and work at the same time "I'm alright, how are you Kevin? Everything good?" I ask and hang a glass on the rack for someone to fill.

"Could be better, sweetheart" he sighs and sends the smell of liquor that clings to his breath my way.

"What can I get you?" I ask as he rests his folded hands on the bar top.

He orders his usual and thanks me as he turns and walks to his table while I assemble his drink. He had gone back to drinking the whiskey that he had told me to flush down the sink. We had to order it back in just for him because no one else drinks it.

I had hoped that after Amos died Kevin's drinking would be a one off thing before he was sober again but it hasn't worked out like that.

I'm still holding out hope that he goes back to rehab eventually but I think he just needs more time to grieve beforehand.

I finish making Kevin's drink and round the bar to take it to him.

"Thanks Poppy" he says as I hand it to him and make my way back to the safety of the bar.

Sarah had been helping me out and Harley is in the back refilling everything that had run out during the lunch rush. I hadn't even been able to have my lunch break yet because we had been so busy but the less busy we get the more eager I get as my stomach rumbles.

I have the overwhelming urge to text Hex, just to make sure he's okay and ask if Ace had shown his face at the mechanic shop today but I can't right now.

I hadn't felt anything through our bond, nothing to indicate that anything is wrong or that Hex had had any kind of major mood swings but then again, I hadn't felt it last week either.

"Hey" Sarah places her hand on my shoulder to grab my attention as I look down at her short stature. "I've got this, you can take your break if you want."

I don't waste a second and grab my bag from under the bar, pulling my phone out and checking for any texts from Hex as I walk.

"Poppy, wait!" I'm tugged back behind the bar by Sarah, causing me to nearly trip but she holds me upright until I can gain my footing.

"Wh-"

"There he is! He's come back!" She hisses into my ear. I don't even have to set eyes on him to know who she's talking about. I feel the chill filling the air and the drop in my stomach.

I look up to find him looking at me, his eyes set firmly on me as the front door of Darby's closes behind him.

He holds my eyes as he limps towards Kevin's table. His sling is gone today but he still holds his arm close to his body, the pain very much still present.

Kevin hasn't notice that Ace has entered Darby's as he looks at the table and drinks the beverage I had served him.

Ace looks dishevelled. His hair seems like he hadn't brushed it or at the very least hadn't styled it since he had woken up. But I also wasn't sure if he had slept, his eyes are dark and sunken, the bags underneath weighing his face down. His skin is pale and chapped while his clothes look similar to the ones he had worn last week.