Chapter SixtyThree

I did my best to ignore Ace for the rest of the day. He had stuck around for far longer than I had anticipated and he had expected drinks to be ran to him whenever his glass was empty. Poor Sarah had the job of making sure his glass was always full. Stevie had gone back to his office but the movement of the cameras had made it apparent he was keeping a close eye on us.

Harley had calmed down but she kept her guard up and wouldn't go anywhere near Ace. She wouldn't even let me walk in his direction. I appreciated it, the last thing I wanted to do was be anywhere within the vicinity of Ace Pollar.

I had to take my lunch break in the backroom, too paranoid to leave the safety of Darby's; what if he had followed me outside?

I had also replied to text a from Hex while eating lunch. My heart sunk when I opened the text to him asking if I was okay. He had absolutely felt my emotions through our bond; I don't know why I ever thought he wouldn't.

I was suck between a rock and a hard place when answering him. I didn't want to tell him that Ace Pollar is sitting in Darby's right at that moment because he would definitely leave the mechanic shop and make his way here and honestly, I don't know how many more chances Clyde will take with Hex's explosive temper. But I also didn't want to lie to him. The guilt began to eat me when he had immediately read my 'I'm okay' text in reply. He had read my text and not replied and at that point unbraced myself for him to walk through the doors of Darby's, my eyes flickering to the door every time someone walked through and I would release a breath every time they weren't Hex.

I will tell him when I get home but I couldn't risk telling him now and both of us potentially losing our jobs for a moment of heated tempers taking control.

Despite the numerous drinks Ace had consumed, he seemed under control and calm. Something I was thankful for, the last thing I wanted was for him to have a drunken outburst. Kevin on the other hand had kept up his respectful demeanour but he was a mess; slouching in his seat and slurring his words into mumbles and I wonder how Rex is going to get him out of Darby's when we close in ten minutes.

"Thank fuck today is over" Harley mumbles from beside me. An older lady that had been sitting at the bar overhears her curse and turns to look at us, giving us a look of disgust before walking to a nearby table.

My eyes flick up to Ace once again, for the hundredth time today. He's talking to Kevin, more-so listening as Kevin rumbles but at least his attention isn't on me.

"How are you going to tell Hex?" She asks. I drop the tea towel I had been holding and rub my forehead while sighing. All I wanted to do was go home and go to bed and the thought of having to have this conversation with Hex makes me want to throw up.

"I don't know" I mumble, the lump in my throat wanting to make itself known again.

I feel exhausted but I know I won't be able to sleep tonight. Not only do I have to worry about Ace showing up again tomorrow but what if he shows up at our apartment?

I don't know how Hex had been getting any sleep; I don't think he has noticed that he has woken me every night this week when he crawls out of bed at 3am. I don't know what he does but he gets up for an hour before coming back to bed, only to lie awake for the rest of the night. He'll do that for a few days and then crash one night and sleep the whole way through before the pattern is repeated. And it is becoming notable in his tired, sunken eyes.

"Well... I guess you don't have to" I look up at Harley but she's looking behind me and I feel my heart sink when the door to Darby's clicks open.

Hex makes his presence known, consuming the room. He's still dressed in his work clothes and his hands are dirty, he must have come here as soon as he finished.