Chapter FortyNine

Hex is gone before I wake, I don't even hear the front door close. I guess he really didn't want to make me any madder. The thought makes me feel guilty, I had woken up in a much better mood than I had gone to sleep in even though the limited hours of sleep had made it hard to keep my eyes open.

I had reconsidered calling sick into work, even though my eyes struggled to open, my mind wasn't a mess like I thought it would be. If anything it's wide awake and wants to go looking for Hex and the only way to prevent that, would be to go to work.

So that's where I am.

My finger nails tap the bar top as I watch the clock tick over and the doors of Darby's open for the day.

My nerves skyrocket and my body wants to go out the back door and run, not turning back for any reason until I'm tucked home safely in bed, but I don't. Instead, I stand taller and take a breath.

"Hey" I jump, my fake confidence not working when Harley walks up behind me and puts her hand on my shoulder. "Woah, it's just me" she laughs but the slightly concerned look in her eyes hints that she didn't expect for me to react that way.

"Hey" I breathe, my hand finding my racing heart.

She gives my shoulder a squeeze and places her bag underneath the bar, next to my bag.

"Relax yeah, they won't be back today. They're probably still hungover from yesterday" she does her best to reassure me but it does little to help. I have no doubt that even if they were on their deathbeds that they would still do everything in their power to intimidate me and ruin Hex.

"Yeah" I say but don't truly agree. The conversation reminds me that I should talk to Stevie about possibly banning Amos and Ace from Darby's. Surely he would allow it once I explain the history with them considering he banned Banks over nothing. But then again, this is Stevie we're talking about and I don't know if I'm in his good books today. "Have you got the bar for a moment? I need to have a chat with Stevie".

Harley doesn't waste a second and rolls her eyes as soon as I mention Stevie's name.

"Yeah I got the bar, go for it" she mutters and starts wiping down the bar top.

I thank her and take off my apron, hanging it on the hook and then making my way to Stevie's office.

The cameras are on but the red light is off, meaning no body is actively controlling them and instead they're automatically recording. The way they should be used, instead of being used as a spy tool on the staff.

I knock on the office door but revive no reply.

"Stevie?" I call out but once again receive no answer. He must not be in yet; not out of the ordinary and the lack of light from underneath the door confirms that.

I shake my head in frustration and return to the bar. My nerves skyrocketing again when I realise that my safety net of having Amos and Ace banned from Darby's fell through.

"Not here?" Harley asks when she sees me return.

"Nope" I roll my eyes and pick up a random glass.

It's silent between us for a moment and I can feel the tension building; she wants to know what happened last night. Sure enough, she can't hold it in for much longer and spits it out.

"So... last night?" I see the side glance she gives me as I focus on the glass. Honestly instead of being annoyed about her prying into my life, it's a relief. I need to vent to someone and Harley always allows me to do that under the pretence of her curiosity.

"I told him about yesterday, he got angry and left" I shrug as I give her the main rundown of what had happened and keeping it brief, leaving out the details that are between hex and I.