Chapter Fourteen

I slept through the night last night. No waking up to an empty bed and no wondering where Hex was. He must have skipped the phone call with his mother, maybe it was because Harley and I are going to see her today and he didn't feel the need to check up on her seeing as we would be, or maybe it was as simple as him being too tired.

It's Saturday today, explaining why Harley and I had both been able to see Wyonna. Darby's use to be opened all weekend when Jacob was there but since he left there was simply not enough of us to work the usual seven days so Stevie cut it down to 5 days a week. The plan was to eventually reopened to seven days a week again but until then I'm going to enjoy my weekends.

I managed to pull myself out from under Hex without waking him. He needs the sleep even though I want to wake him but Harley would be here soon to pick me up and drive us to the care home.

The sunlight shines in through the sides of the window that the curtain doesn't cover. It's warm and gold in colour as it paints the carpet, a small beam of light runs across Hex's naked back as he lies on his stomach, face squished in the pillow I once occupied. He hadn't so much as moved when stood and I had to pause for a brief minute to watch him breathe as my paranoia gets to me.

He's still asleep when Harley texts me to let me know she's waiting in her car out the front and I wonder if I should wake him to say goodbye and remind him of where I'm going but I decide against it and place a kiss to the side of his face that isn't squished into the pillow.

Mum's bedroom door is open and a glance inside shows it's empty, so is the lounge room and the kitchen. She had left her usual note on the kitchen island to let me know she's out walking. I pad to the front door and unlock it, the early morning sun almost blinds me but I see Harley's car when I squint my eyes. I can see the damage along the side panels that Amos and Ace had inflicted months ago, before Hex's court date.

Harley sits in the drivers seat and leans across to push the passenger door open for me as I hastily lock the door and jog to the car, the morning air is chilly and the golden sunlight deceiving.

"Good morning!" She says cheerfully as I take a seat and close the door, pulling on my seatbelt as she pulls out of the driveway. Her smile and happy tone is deceiving to the sad look in her eyes but I can see it. It's the same look she has whenever she has to see her mother.

"Good morning, Harley" I say less cheerfully. It's the first words I've spoken today and the sleep is still heavy in my voice.

Harley talks consistently during the entire drive, even if I don't answer her. She moves between talking to me, talking to herself or singing to the radio and I know she's only trying to distract herself.

As for me, I'm nervous. It's been months since I've seen Wyonna and the only indication I have of her condition is what I've been told but I'm still picturing her how I last saw her and I know that when I see her today it'll be a shock.

"Lovely to see you again" Betty at reception of the home care says to both of us. I'm surprised she remembers me.

The door to Wyonna's room is in sight as we walk down the hallway in the direction. A nurse exits the room just as we're getting there, she is the same nurse that had helped us when Wyonna got angry and didn't remember Hex or Harley but I can't remember her name for the life of me.

"Oh Harley, nice to see you. She's just woken up" she gives a smile of sympathy to us, to which Harley ignores.

She had just woken up? It's nearly 10am and I've never known Wyonna to be a late riser. It makes me gulp as my nerves build further.

"Thanks Cherry" Harley says. Cherry, her name is Cherry.

The room is dark and the curtain is still pulled covering the window when we walk in. Wyonna's sitting at her table, a cup of coffee in hand. She's still dressed in her night gown with a purple dressing gown pulled over the top. Her fluffy slippers cover her feet.