02: blue plaid skirts

"We're going to Chilton!"

--------

When Lorelai Gilmore received her mail that afternoon she instantly let out a squeal of pure joy and excitement. She practically ripped open the two letters, another rush of joy filling her.

Lorelai jumped into her Jeep doing a quick round of shopping before speeding off towards the Independence Inn, the place she's worked since she ran away from home at sixteen. From the parking lot she could hear the commotion going on in the kitchen, where her best friend Sookie St. James, womanned the kitchen.

Lorelai ran in, screaming her best friend's name. "Sookie!" The woman turned with such speed that she managed to hit the man behind her with a frying pan. "O-Oh, it's here. It happened. They did it!" Lorelai spoke excitedly.

"Okay, I'm gonna need a little bit longer sentence."

"The Chilton School. Rory and Cassie got in."

"Oh my god!" Sookie immediately started clapping her hands together. "Oh my god!"

"I know! Look," Lorelai lifted the acceptance letter, allowing Sookie to see it as she read it outloud. "Dear Ms. Gilmore, We are happy to inform you that we have two vacancies at Chilton Preparatory starting immediately. Due to your daughters' excellent credentials and your enthusiastic pursuit of their enrollment." Lorelai lowered the letter, "I offered to do the principal to get them in. We'll be happy to accept them, once the first semester's tuition has been received."

"This is very exciting," Sookie practically jumped with joy as she and Lorelai shared a hug.

"Is something burning?"

"My bangs, earlier," Sookie informed her. "Go on, go on."

"This is it. They can finally get into an Ivy League and get the education I couldn't. And get to do this thing that I couldn't. Then I can resent them for it and we can finally have a normal mother-daughter relationship."

"Mom?" Rory's voice traveled in from the other room causing both women to attempt to drop their smiles as the Gilmore twins walked into the kitchen. "You're happy," Rory observed.

"Yeah," Lorelai nodded with the same bright smile on her face.

"Did you do something slutty," Cassie asked her with an almost knowing look. One that made Lorelai a little worried.

"I'm not that happy," Lorelai told her then she and Sookie started laughing. "Here," she handed a brown bag to each of her daughters.

"What's going on?"