37: laughing gas

"She'll know that you know."

--☆--☆--☆--

It was yet another Friday night dinner at the Gilmore house. Everyone was dressed up nicely with fancy plates in front of them. The twins sat beside each other, their mother across the table from them, and Emily at the head of the table, an empty seat left for Richard who was still working.

"Everyone's awfully quiet tonight," Emily noted.

"Sorry, Mom, I'm just tired," Lorelai explained.

"Me too," Rory added while Cassie simply nodded her head.

"School," She explained.

"Work," Lorelai added.

"Life."

"Dig it, man."

"Peace out Humphrey," Rory nodded and the table went quiet again.

Emily sighed as the younger Gilmores went back to eating. "Mystery." Emily looked back and forth at her daughter and granddaughters, shaking her head at the three of them. She set her fork down on her plate, "Well this is just ridiculous- four intelligent women sitting here in complete silence. There must be something to talk about." The twins looked up at their mother who was already looking at them, the three of them remaining quiet. "Do you know that every night at dinner, the Kennedy clan would sit around the table having lively debates about everything under the sun? They would quiz each other about current events, historical facts, and intellectual trivia. Now the Gilmore clan is just as smart and worldly as the Kennedys, so come on, somebody, say something."

"Did you know that a butt model makes 10,000 dollars a day?" Lorelai asked them, and while she earned two smiles from her daughters, her mother shook her head.

"Camelot is truly dead."

"Emily!" Richard called out as he entered the house.

"In here!" She called back. "Just follow the crickets."

Richard walked into the dining room with a smile on his face. "I am sorry I'm late," He apologized, "but I come bearing wonderful news."

"Siri, bring Mr. Gilmore a plate," Emily yelled to her cook as she stood up from her seat.

"I just got off the phone," Richard informed the girls as he sat down in his chair.

"Would you like to change first?" Emily asked him as she took his napkin.