03: speaking of which

"You're very lucky, Cassidy, to be named after him."

--------

Two of the three Gilmore Girls were sitting inside Luke's diner for dinner. They both had salads in front of them and neither of them seemed eager to eat it. Both of them picked at the lettuce with their forks, not saying a word to each other.

Both of them were silently wishing that Cassie would come bursting through the door but for some reason she seemed to be running late.

Lorelai let out a sigh as she looked up at her older daughter. "So, you were late getting home tonight."

"Yeah, I went to the library," Rory told her, but of course she was lying.

"I'm here!" Cassie yelled as she pushed open the door to the diner. She was wearing her favorite baseball cap, the one Luke had gotten her after taking her to a New York Yankees game. "Sorry I'm late."

Lorelai smiled as Cassie quickly kissed her on the cheek before sitting in between her mother and sister. Cassie instantly picked up on the weird vibe, not knowing that both her mother and sister had something to share with the table.

"So... what'd I miss?" Cassie asked.

"I uh... forget to tell you girls, we're having dinner with your grandparents tomorrow night," Lorelai informed her daughters. "So no going out tomorrow night, kay?" Lorelai said, this time looking only at Cassie.

"Okay, no going out tomorrow," Cassie nodded but the confused look remianied on her face. "So we're seeing our Grandparents tomorrow?" Cassie questioned since that was the last thing she expected her mother to say.

"Yes, we're having dinner with the grandparents."

"But it's September."

"So?"

"So what holidays in September?"

"It's not a holiday thing. It's just dinner, okay?" Lorelai told her, not appreciating the tone of voice Rory was using with her.

"Fine, sorry."

Luke set down three plates that contained fries and a burger, he didn't need to wait for Cassie to come in and order, he already knew what she'd ask for. "Red meat can kill you. Enjoy." He said calmly before walking away from the table.

"So I finished hemming both your skirts today," Lorelai told them as Cassie picked the lettuce off her burger. Cassie smiled at her mom before taking a bite of her burger but Rory hardly moved at all. "A grunt of acknowledgement might be nice."