10: Chilton Bake Sale

"And he likes you."

--☆--☆--☆--

Rory and Cassie sat at the bus stop like they did every morning to get to Chilton. Rory had a book in her hand while Cassie was reading a sports magazine. The bus pulled up at the same time it did every day and the girls got on, but something was different today.

Cassie noticed as a certain bag boy hopped onto the bus at the last second, his eyes focusing on her twin sister. Instead of sitting next to Rory like she always does, Cassie sat in front of her sister. Rory, of course, didn't notice because she was too focused on the words written in her book.

The bag boy sat down in the seat behind Rory, quickly realizing that Rory was focusing on her book and not on him. "Hey."

"Ah!" Rory screamed, causing Cassie to put her hand over her mouth so she wouldn't laugh too loudly. "Morning."

"Good book?" The bag boy asked her as Rory turned to face forward in her seat. She saw Cassie sitting in the seat in front of her and she suddenly wished her sister hadn't moved away from her.

"I don't know yet."

"I saw you standing in line so I thought I'd say hello." He told her but Rory didn't say anything, instead she looked up at her sister. It was like she was asking Cassie what she should do. "Hello?"

"Hello," Rory looked at her sister, and Cassie immediately shook her head. She knew what her sister was going to do and she wanted to stop it but Rory was already speaking. "Do you know my sister?"

"Sister?" He looked up, suddenly realizing that there were two versions of Lorelai Gilmore in front of him. "Dean," He said, introducing himself.

"Cassie," She said quickly then went back to her issue of Sports Illustrated before Rory could try to get her and Dean to talk.

"Oh, hey, thanks for helping me get a job at the store. I mean, it's not a career or anything, but it's got me solvent," He thanked Rory.

Cassie, who was pretending to read, nodded her head glad that Dean was focusing on Rory. A lot of the guys they met would simply switch from Gilmore to the next, but not Dean. Dean was giving Rory his full attention.

"Solvent is good."

"Yeah. Uh, are you always this serious?"

"No," Rory answered right away.

"So, how long does it take you to get to school?"

"Um, 40 minutes if the bus driver's focused, but longer if he's trying to win something on the radio," She told him, turning her head slightly to look at him. "Hey this bus is going to Hartford!" Rory realized, her eyes widening a bit.