40: run away Gilmore

"I don't want to scare her away."

--☆--☆--☆--

Joshua Dawson woke up with a smile on his face. Despite being caught in a compromising position by his girlfriend's sister, he was happy. It didn't matter that his dad was in a mood and his potential new stepmom still didn't know how to put the juice carton back into the fridge. That morning none of it mattered.

Because Josh realized something. He was in love.

Josh wasn't a stupid guy, he knew people would question if he knew what love really was. He knew his own father would tell him he's being an idiot. He'd tell him that if he wanted to be smart he'd hold his feelings in. Life is a poker game, he'd say. But Josh didn't want to hear it, not anymore.

The Dawson boy drove to school with a smile on his face. Little did he know, his girlfriend was not smiling as brightly as he was that morning.

He walked down the Chilton hallways with a smile on his face. Everyone who looked over at him wondered if something was wrong with him. Josh was a happy guy but not this happy. None of them knew what was going through his mind, only one person figured it out.

Josh didn't see her coming. He was innocently walking down the hall with his best friend. Tristan didn't even notice when his best friend disappeared from his side.

"Oh shit," Josh panicked when he was pulled down a hallway. "What the hell?"

"Are you gonna tell her?" Sophie asked him.

"What? Tell her what?" Josh asked as he moved Sophie's hand off of him. Sophie's shoulders dropped, and she gave him a look of pure annoyance. "Cassie? What am I telling Cassie?"

"That you..."

"That I?"

"Do I have to spell it out for you?" Sophie asked.

"No don't, I have dyslexia," Josh reminded her, causing the blonde girl to roll her eyes.

"Are you gonna tell her you love her?" Sophie asked bluntly, causing the smile on Josh's face to drop a little. He laughed awkwardly, making Sophie shake her head. "Don't give me the frat boy Danny Zuko laugh."

Josh rolled his eyes this time, choosing to ignore her last comment. "Isn't it a little early to make declarations like that?"

"How long have you been dating?" She asked him.